Editor's note: It's time to recap the top stories on CultureMap from this past week.
1. The wait is almost over: Global sushi powerhouse Nobu sets Houston opening date. Two years after announcing its plans, the acclaimed New York-based restaurant will open in Houston on June 1.
2. Veteran restaurateurs dream up new taco concept for Greenway Plaza. Jenni and Scott Tranweaver are converted the Greenway Plaza location of Jenni's Noodle House into a new concept called Dream Tacos TX.
3. Ken Hoffman on why it makes cents for the U.S. to dump the penny. Did you know that it costs the U.S. Mint 1.66 cents to manufacture a 1.0 cent penny? That's one of many reasons Ken Hoffman argues it's time for Abe to take a hike.
4. 3 hot new spots for dining and shopping are on the horizon for Rice Village. Dallas-based wine bar/restaurant Sixty Vines, popsicle purveyor Steel City Pops, and another Dry Bar are all coming to Rice Village in the next several months, the shopping district announced this week.
5. Houston fan favorite chef returns to the den at original Beaver's. In his new role as operating partner, Jonathan Jones wants to bring the old and new school jams to the original Beaver's on Decatur.