Editor's note: It's time to recap the most popular stories on CultureMap from this past week:
1. Has this high-profile Houston restaurant closed? Signs point to yes. Chef Monica Pope hasn't said whether Sparrow will reopen to the public.
2. Controversial new yellow ‘canopy’ over Paris landmark raises eyebrows, but some really like it. The City of Light is buzzing about La Canopee — a giant, undulating, yellow steel umbrella holding thousands of glass panes — at the Forum des Halles mall in central Paris.
3. Where to Eat Right Now: 10 New Restaurants for May. The popular monthly column includes Toulouse in River Oaks District, downtown food hall Conservatory, and more.
4. Another Houston chef takes home James Beard Award: And the winner is... Oxheart chef Justin Yu won the award, which is considered the Oscar of the culinary world.
5. Stunning $1 million personal gift sends this gala into fundraising stratosphere. Fielding and Meredith Cocke made the massive donation at the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation "Promise Ball."