this week's hot headlines
Houston's saddest restaurant closings and most exciting openings lead week's top stories
Editor's note: It's time to recap the top stories on CultureMap from this past week.
1. Houston's saddest restaurant closures of 2023: Farewell to pho, Tex-Mex, BBQ, and more faves. From short-term breweries to a 50-year-old barbecue staple, all of these shuttered establishments had their fans.
2. The ultimate list of more than 70 Houston bars and restaurants opening in 2024. Lots of projects that have been in the works since 2021 and 2022 will open their doors this year.
3. Kingly Houston community is the No. 2 friendliest American neighborhood. The area is known for its heavily forested land, numerous parks, and family-friendly attractions.
4. 2 Houston-area ZIP codes top 2023 list of hottest housing markets in U.S.. The study ranked ZIP codes by the total number of homes that went into contract within 90 days of listing.
5. Houston-born actress comes home to star in Tina: The Tina Turner Musical. "I'm like a kid in a candy store," she tells CultureMap.