The Rothko Chapel presents MenilFest 2017
MenilFest is a day of performances, readings, and a showcase of independent authors and publishers. As part of the event, the Rothko Chapel will be hosting a site-specific, contemplative musical performance and an interactive labyrinth dance performance.
The Chapel’s first event will be “Anecdote of the Spirit,” a performance by soprano and experimental vocal composer Misha Penton and double bassist and composer Thomas Helton. During the performance, audience members are invited to wander in and out of the Chapel in thought and introspection. Then, at 5 pm, the festivities continue with dance by Core Performance Company, which will perform “walk,” a piece that celebrates the sacred space of a labyrinth. The interactive dance will be performed in a temporary labyrinth set-up outside on the Chapel’s plaza, in front of Barnett Newman’s iconic sculpture Broken Obelisk.
Schedule of events
- 11 am-12:15 pm: Writers in the Schools Young Writers Reading - Menil Front Lawn. Support young writers from grades K - 12 as they read their original poems, stories, and essays.
- 12:30-3 pm: INPRINT POETRY BUSKERS - Menil Collection sidewalk. Seasoned local authors craft poems on-demand for the entire family.
- 1 pm: Da Camera presents Family Drum Circle with Sam Dinkins III - Menil Collection Main Building. The Dinky Drum Company's mission is to provide knowledge and experiences which promote the enjoyment of music for a lifetime - so grab a drum and join along, kick off your shoes and dance in the grass, or just enjoy, take it all in, and enjoy the beats.
- 2-3 pm: Meta-Four Poetry Slam - Menil Front Lawn. Meta-Four Houston is a non-profit organization that encourages self-expression and literacy among Houston's youth through creative writing and performance. Come hear what makes their poets now the #1 youth slam team in Texas.
- 3-4:30 pm: Anecdote for the Spirit
- 4:30 pm: Gulf Coast presents: Working Women Work It, a Reading & Panel