Opera in the Heights 20th Anniversary Celebration
Opera in the Heights will be the star at Silver Street’s “Second Saturday,” hosted by Michael Raak of Flashback Films Inc., to kick off Oh!’s 20th anniversary season. Although the focus is on opera, the event will also celebrate the visual arts, as Oh! shares the space with Foto Fest International and its exhibit I Am A Camera, along with open studios for the artists housed at Silver Street.
The video production company, Flashback Films Inc., is one of the artist tenants at Silver Street, an arts and event complex near downtown which includes a 20,000 square-foot event space and 70 creative studios. Silver Street is committed to supporting the arts and providing local creative entrepreneurs a community in which their ideas can thrive.
Guests at “Second Saturday” can experience all forms of art, enjoy food and drink and become educated about Opera in the Heights. Some of the activities planned include:
- Two brief performances to excite attendees about opera as an art form and give a glimpse into what to expect at Opera in the Heights
- Houston’s first urban ice-cream truck, Chocolate Wasted, will be in attendance with tasty treats, as well as Wokker Texas Ranger, offering guests Asian/Texan fusion cuisine
- Karbach Brewing Co. will be on hand with complimentary beverages for guests while supplies last
- A VIP area in Flashback Films’ studio for Oh!’s YOLO (Young Opera Lovers Organization) members and potential members to mingle and learn more about the benefits of joining this young professionals group. Special activities and swag bags will be available for YOLO participants. Arm bands can be acquired by joining YOLO or making a donation in honor of Oh!
- Showcase of opera costume work and set designs by Oh! designers
- A booth with information about Oh! and the upcoming season from Oh! Guild members
- Raffles for prizes