Ken Hoffman handicaps 10 Taylor Swift bets on Super Bowl Sunday — from smart to silly
I just don’t get the backlash and furor over TV showing Taylor Swift in a suite cheering on her boyfriend at Kansas City Chiefs games. Even David Letterman had to weigh in recently, telling haters to “shut up.”
Of course I get it, really. She is the biggest music star in the world — in some ways the biggest of all-time — and we know how she feels about certain political issues. Plus her boyfriend does commercials for a Covid vaccine.
But Taylor Swift doesn’t shove her politics down viewers’ throats. She doesn’t mention politics at her football stadium-sized shows. She doesn’t leak which suite she’ll be attending at Chiefs’ games — like Kim Kardashian informing the paparazzi where she’s having dinner that night.
From everything I’ve read about Swift, she appears to be a decent person, generous to her tour people, beloved by her friends, and there’s never been a hint of scandal around her. As we reviewed here, she put on a tremendous, three-hour show for three nights, and even had an impact here after she left. (The University of Houston is even teaching a business class on her entrepreneurial genius.)
Swift made the most of her nights in Houston. Photo by Marco Torres/Marco from Houston
Oh, and Sunday, February 4 night, she won her unprecedented fourth Grammy for Album of the Year. Unprecedented means more than anybody ever in the history of music. That’s not Milli Vanilli winning Best New Artist.
By the way, we’re not talking like network sports cameras are trained on Taylor Swift every other play or they have a split screen, the game on one side, Swift high-fiving her friends on the other.
Cameras show her only 28 seconds during a Chiefs game. Thats it: 28 seconds. And, she always has a “get that camera off me” look on her face.
Nobody’s complaining when NFL games show morbidly obese drunk guys without their shirts spelling out P-A-C-K-E-R-S in 10-below at Lambeau. In Houston, cameras always show the same fans dressed up like — well, I don’t know what they’re supposed to be — in the endzone at Texans games.
Swift obviously is a Hail Mary for some Democrats, who are wishin’ and hopin’ she endorses President Biden for re-election. She has given no indication that she will do that.
Yet Republicans can’t stand the whole Taylor Swift thing, and there’s only one reason they are howling about cameras on her at NFL games. Taylor Swift may be the most crystal-clear divide — more than the border, more than abortion, more than Modela Especial vs. Bud Light — among American voters.
Meanwhile, it appears that she could give a flying Philadelphia flip about the controversy about her. She reportedly will be in attendance at the Super Bowl on Sunday, February 9, taking a supersonic Tom Swift (no relation) spaceship after her concert in Tokyo the night before.
Betting on Swift
Now, I’m not a betting man, but the Taylor Swift craziness has me scouring Super Bowl prop bets for some Swiftie action. There are 89 Swift prop bets involving Swift. I may as well make a few bucks off something I don’t understand.
These are 10 for-real bets you can make in Vegas or online in 36 states, not including Texas (but ask the teenager next door how to do it anyway).
- Cameras will show Swift holding and eating a hot dog during the game. Yes is (+300). I’m all over no. How do you not know that Swift is a chicken strips girl?
- Travis Kelce will propose to Swift on the field after the game. No is (-600). This is a gift. No way will Kelce try to seal the deal with a cheap publicity stunt like that. First, it would only be possible if the Chiefs win, and they’re currently 2-point underdogs. I think the Chiefs do pull the upset, but I’m still betting no.
- Will Donna Kelce be shown hugging Taylor Swift during CBS’ telecast. Yes is (-120). I’m betting yes. They’re huggers (especially Swift) and there’s nothing wrong with that.
- How long will Swift be shown live on TV during the game (over 32.5 seconds is -120). It will be under. It’s a political year and CBS doesn’t want to poke roughly half of the country.
- Swift will wear a Travis Kelce jersey during the game. No is (-170.) Tacky. She won’t.
- Swift to be shown live after the Chiefs first touchdown. Yes is (-400.) This is the lock of the millennium – a thousand percent yes. Unless the 49ers are up 49-0 and the Chiefs score a garbage TD with a minute left in the game.
- Who will say Taylor Swift’s name first? Jim Nantz (-150) or Tony Romo (+110). It will be Nantz. Romo will be on his best behavior after taking some critical slaughter over his lack of preparation. He will be all-football, all-the-time.
- Will Swift be shown crying if the Chiefs lose? No is (-500.) I’m saying no. Trick question. The Chiefs are gonna win.
- Swift will be shown doing the heart sign. No is (-250). She won’t do it. It’s played out.
- Swift will be shown holding an alcoholic drink during the game. No is (-160). I’m saying yes. Drinks will be provided free in her booth. She’s 34 years old. She will be jet-lagged out of her mind. It’s a football game.
What do you think of the Taylor Swift effect? Would you bet on — or against — her during the Super Bowl? Let Ken know at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter.