This Week's Hot Headlines
Houston reality stars and River Oaks' newest restaurant lead the week's most popular stories
Editor’s note: Another week come and gone, so we’ve rounded up the five most popular stories on CultureMap from this past week:
1. Reality series Married to Medicine is filming in H-Town, and we have our own ideas for the cast. A Houston version of Bravo's Atlanta-based reality show, Married to Medicine, is currently filming at locations across the city. According to reports, the local cast is an international mix of mostly young women, early in their careers and facing the challenges of balancing demanding medical careers with personal life.
2. First look at River Oaks' newest restaurant with outdoor bar, crowd-pleasing menu and high-quality beef. CultureMap's food editor Eric Sandler provides a first glimpse at Harwood Grill, located in the space formerly occupied by 60 Degrees Mastercrafted. With a menu featuring steaks, burgers and crab cakes, the new spot is set to be an exciting addition to the River Oaks restaurant scene.
3. Founder of popular health food chain charged with cocaine possession and public intoxication. Mario Mendias, founder of health food company My Fit Foods, was arrested Monday night at the W Hotel in Austin after police received a call regarding a disturbance around 2:30 a.m. According to the affidavit, Mendias struck a security guard in the face three times and was subsequently arrested for public intoxication and cocaine possession.
4. Houston's newest power couple turn heads as Celebration of Reading raises $2.5 million. A Celebration of Reading, an annual event hosted by the Barbara Bush Houston Literacy Foundation, brought 2,200 people together as part of an effort to end illiteracy. The event drew many members of the Bush clan, as well as a number of celebrities, including J.J. Watt, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Reba McEntire.
5. Houston's best neighborhood restaurants: Tastemaker standouts offer great comfort food. With the 2015 CultureMap Tastemaker Awards only a few weeks away, Eric Sandler profiles the seven nominees for the Neighborhood Restaurant of the Year, which include hot spots Coltivare, Bernie's Burger Bus, Cuchara, Hugo's, Liberty Kitchen and Oysterette, Paulie's and The Queen Vic Pub & Kitchen.