Pethouse Pet of the Week
Gypsy wanders across Houston-style hot dogs, Megyn Kelly's abysmal talk show, and Lupe Tortilla breakfast
Sep 28, 2017 | 12:00 pm
This week's Pethouse Pet of the Week, Gypsy, has a lot to say about Houston-style hot dogs, NBC's Megyn Kelly, Chip and Jo-Jo, and Lupe Tortilla.
Pethouse Pet of the Week:
Name: Gypsy, as in Rose Lee and the Fleetwood Mac hit. Stevie Nicks wrote and sang it.
Birthdate: January 3, 2017 – our first Pethouse Pet born in 2017.
Ethnicity: I’m a frisky Chihuahua mixed-up girlie girl. If there’s a lap available, I’ll be in it.
Come and get me: I'm available for adoption at 11 am Friday at Citizens for Animal Protection (17555 Katy Freeway; 281-497-0591). Tell them, "Ken sent me."
- There’s the Chicago-style hot dog with relish, chopped onions, pickle spear, and sport peppers. There’s the New York-style hot dog with dark mustard and sauerkraut. Now, finally, there’s the Houston-style hot dog, courtesy of iconic James Coney Island. It’s a bacon-wrapped, all-beef frank topped with chili and cheese sauce and crispy sliced fried jalapenos. It’s $5.49 for a limited time only, available at JCI Grills in Meyerland Plaza, 701 Town and Country Boulevard, 3701 S. Shepherd, and 5745 Westheimer. If it hits big, I’m predicting it will stick around.
- I’ve never seen a TV show arrive more dead in the water than Megyn Kelly’s new talk show on NBC. The former Fox News shrill is portraying herself as just a regular ol’ fun-lovin’ gal. “I’m kind of done with politics for now. You know why, right? It’s everywhere. And it’s just gotten so dark!” Kelly said. You think? Sorry, princess, it doesn’t work that way. Kelly complaining about dark politics is like someone throwing a baby in the river, jumping in to save it, and expecting a reward. Kelly has political Munchausen syndrome.
- For sheer raw talent, who you got? Tom Bergeron, Ryan Seacrest, or Carson Daly? I’ll take D. None of the above.
- Chip and Joanna Gaines have announced they’re quitting Fixer Upper, their hit show on HGTV cable channel. Here’s what I never understood about the show, and I’m a regular viewer: Chip will say, “The entire kitchen needs to be remodeled and the den has to go and let’s put a second floor on the garage and add a recreation room in the back." And Joanna puts down $25,000 for all the additions and repairs. I know the show is based in Waco, but give me a break. Last week, I had a guy give me an estimate to replace the windows -just the windows - in my house - $35,000.
- Congratulations for Saudi Arabia for announcing, starting next year, women will be allowed to drive. And this our friend in the Middle East?
- Lupe Tortilla is now open for breakfast, serving wake-up dishes like barbacoa Benedict, omelets, achy breaky tacos, breakfast ritas, Mexican coffee with tequila and Kahlua, plus an amazing frittata. Hey, didn’t he just buy the Houston Rockets?