This Week's Hot Headlines
Restaurant community's loss, Houston's top saleswoman and America's best barbecue lead the week's top stories
Editor’s note: It's time to recap the most popular stories on CultureMap from this past week:
1. Houston's restaurant community mourns unexpected death of popular general manager. The longtime general manager of Cullen's Upscale American Grille, Ryan Roberts, passed away on Sunday night at the age of 38.
2. After $73 million in sales and 86 Last Calls, Neiman Marcus couture guru goes out on top. Having spent 43 years as the top saleswoman at Neiman Marcus, 82-year-old Sylvia Goldstein dishes on her experiences at the luxury retailer.
3. Texas barbecue joint named No. 1 in America; only one Houston spot on list of Top 100. After visiting 48 states and 365 barbecue restaurants in 365 days, writer Johnny Fugitt names one Texas joint as the best in the nation and puts one Houston spot in his Top 100.
4. New Houston wine bar with neighborhood vibe named one of the best in the nation. The experts at Wine Enthusiast Magazine dug deep to find America’s best wine bars, and one local spot was named on the publication's list of the Top 20 in the U.S.
5. Beloved bar takes flight at new location with food, big patio and owl collection. Take an inside look at West Alabama's Owl Bar, newly reincarnated only blocks from it's former location on Kirby.
6. Houston's fastest growing suburbs: Here's how big they'll be in 2030. Using data from the U.S. Census, an analysis of Texas suburb growth reveals the state’s top 10 fastest-growing big suburbs.