This Week's Hot Headlines
Ronnie Killen's big bet and Uber-like buses lead this week's most popular stories
It's time to recap the most popular stories on CultureMap from this past week:
1. Ronnie Killen makes $10,000 bet that he can build a better burger than unfriendly reviewer. When the author of a negative review about Killen's Burgers claimed he could make a better burger at home than what's served at the Pearland restaurant, chef-owner Ronnie Killen offered to cook against him for a $10,000 prize.
2. New bus service zeroes in on travel across Texas with Uber-like efficiency. Shofur offers 12 daily routes between Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, and Waco starting August 15 with amenities such as reclining seats, Wi-Fi, power outlets, and the option to select your seat on the bus in advance just as you would on an airplane.
3. Discovery Green wants to exit the Pokémon GO craze, citing disregard for park rules. Although Pokémon GO has attracted thousands of visitors to downtown park, the Discovery Green Conservancy has asked to be removed from the game, citing increased costs for maintenance and security.
4. Five late additions to Houston Restaurant Weeks you won't want to miss. Restaurants like Pax Americana and Bernadine's joined the annual fundraiser a little late, but diners should make time to check them out.
5. (tie) Sneak peek: After renovations, Midtown sports bar offers a bigger patio and more places to party. Pub Fiction is back and better than ever.
5. (tie) Montrose Sunday funday spot set to close with mega partying, plans to reopen with new concept. Royal Oak will close on September 11 for a series of renovations and reopen with a new name.