Editor's note: It's time to recap the top stories on CultureMap from this past week.
1. Houston's 11 biggest restaurant and bar closures of 2019 reveal a turbulent year in dining. Restaurants come and go, but losing high-profile establishments like The Pass & Provisions and Reef made dining in Houston a little worse.
2. Grocery store at heart of Houston's Jewish community set to close. Two years after Hurricane Harvey flooded Meyerland, Belden's Food Market is making the painful decision to shut its doors.
3. 8 favorite outside-the-Loop destinations among Houston's top 100 restaurants. If you take nothing else away from this list of restaurants, we highly recommend going to Saltillo Mexican Kitchen for the tapa de lomo and enchiladas.
4. 12 best restaurants for New Year's Day brunch in Houston. The Classic, Indianola, and a'Bouzy led our picks for places to dine on New Year's Day.
5. High-profile Galleria-area dim sum restaurant announces impending shutter. A Michelin-starred pedigree and an elegant environment weren't enough to lure Houstonians to pay more for dim sum at Yauatcha than they do at restaurants in Chinatown.