Who says a good man — or woman — is hard to find? If you want to know more about 10 of the city’s most alluring and accomplished singles, read on. Just in time for tricks and treats, here's the latest edition of Houston's Most Eligible Bachelors and Bachelorettes.
Know someone who should be on the list? Write in and nominate your favorites. Email us at email@example.com.
Age: Not important
Height: 5' 9"
Originally From: New York
Zodiac Sign: Aries
We’re big fans of the television personality, actress, model, entrepreneur and mother of two. We've followed her career from her days on MTV's The Real World: Los Angeles and VH1's Basketball Wives to her current role alongside Halle Berry on the CBS show Extant. What’s more, the stunner, who calls Houston home in between gigs, is working on her own cosmetic line.
• My Ideal Mate: He's spiritual, gainfully employed, over 6' 2" tall, honest, loyal, physically fit, values relationships and friendships.
• I’m Dying to Try: Zip lining.
• My Proudest Accomplishment: My two daughters.
• My Last Relationship: It was two years ago and it lasted five years.
• One Thing About Me You Should Know: I'm a lover, not a fighter.
• The Most Important Value in a Relationship: Honesty.
• Top Song on My Playlist: "Closer To My Dreams" by Goapele and anything 90's R&B.
• Super Powers I Wish I Had: Stop and rewind time.
• My Favorite Thing About Houston: I'm always traveling so Houston's my relaxing spot.
Originally From: Galveston
Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
You can catch the co-owner and beverage director of Moving Sidewalk shaking his talent all over the downtown bar. Ladies, step right up and strike up a conversation while you sip a delicious cocktail. You won't disturb his groove.
• My Ideal Mate: She’s smart, funny, outgoing, likes art and music, and probably works messed up hours.
• I’m Dying to Try: Durian (Asian fruit).
• My Proudest Accomplishment: Making this list.
• What Makes Me Laugh: The basics of humanity -- people being their own silly selves without pretense.
• My Last Relationship: It was a year and a half ago and we dated for six years.
• One Thing About Me You Should Know: I’m a big mama’s boy (she lives in Mississippi).
• The Most Important Value in a Relationship: Honesty and understanding my commitment to work plus the insane hours that come with it.
• Top Song on My Playlist: "Damaged Goods" by Gang of Four.
• Relationship Deal Breakers: A girl who changes the station when Black Sabbath comes on the radio.
• As a Kid in High School, I Was: A skater boy.
• My Favorite Thing About Houston: Mala Sichuan.
Height: My driver's license says 5'9" but let's be serious... it's probably more like 5'7"(ish)
Originally From: Victoria, Texas
Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Garza, a behind-the-scenes TV producer who looks like a primetime news anchor, works on KHOU 11 News This Morning. The dark haired beauty, a social media whiz, is looking for a match who is supportive of her skyrocketing career -- and the crazy hours that come with it.
• My Ideal Mate: He’s patient and loyal. At this point in my life, I want to have a good time, make memories, love and be loved by someone who wants the same.
• I’m Dying to Try: I’ve been all over the U.S., but never out of the country. I have this idea to visit the Top 10 Most Awesome Pools in the World in two years (now searching for volunteers to assist with sunscreen application).
• What Makes Me Laugh: Everything and nothing. I love a good YouTube video or Chelsea Handler stand-up, but I've gotten ab workouts from some of the most mundane things like an impromptu dance party in the middle of the newsroom, or watching my mother watch a big football game. Trust me, it's a sight to be seen.
• The Most Important Value in a Relationship: Commitment. I can be cynical about love, but my parent's devotion to each other reminds me that true, loyal, in-sickness-or-in-health love does exist. They've been married 39 years and there's not a thing they wouldn't do for each other. They make me believe.
• Top Song on My Playlist: Music feeds my soul. I've been obsessed with Sam Smith since last year when I heard him on Disclosure's "Latch." I'm also digging newcomer Ryn Weaver. Beyonce can do no wrong and I'm a ride or die Britney Spears fan. There's no shame in my Britney game.
Originally From: The Woodlands
Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Outgoing with a great sense of humor, there’s no shortage of reasons to fall head over heels for the sales rep. He's looking for a woman who knows her self worth and is trustworthy, intelligent, resilient and humble.
• My Proudest Accomplishment: Getting my bachelor’s degree at Texas State. Eat 'em up Cats.
• My Last Relationship: It was year ago and it lasted 5 years.
• One Thing About Me You Should Know: I'm happy and grateful for the life I’m able to live. I’m constantly growing and working on myself to become a better me.
• The Most Important Value in a Relationship: Trust. I believe it’s the foundation of any good relationship whether it be friend or lover.
• I Believe in Love at First Sight: No, I think there can be a physical attraction, but to love someone you must get to know them inside and out.
• I Google My Dates Ahead of Time: No, that’s creepy.
• As a Kid in High School, I Was: A jock.
• Super Powers I Wish I Had: Superman's powers. Incredible strength, lighting speed and x-ray vision. He's pretty much indestructible and, oh yea, and let's not forget that he can fly.
• My Favorite Thing About Houston: The Houston Texans and all the great food the city has to offer.
Originally From: Chicago, San Diego and Quito, Ecuador
Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Soar to new heights dating the aerospace engineer and fire dancer, whose good looks and brains make for an out of this world combination. Date long and prosper.
• My Ideal Mate: Someone who not only has a degree (or two) and a steady, well-paying job, but also has a strong creative/artistic side. Also on my list: Someone who is spiritual but not religious, knows how to work hard and play hard, stays in great shape, loves to dance and dress up silly plus make mischief on the town, but is ready to be serious and responsible when necessary. And a non-smoker who is mostly drug-free and healthy eater, willing to live in the loop and is considering marriage and kids real soon.
• My Proudest Accomplishment: Making it to the top 6 per cent of 6,000 applicants in the last astronaut selection.
• One Thing About Me You Should Know: I seem strong, confident and extroverted, but it's mostly an act to get by in this world. I'm bisexual, but only do relationships with men.
• The Most Important Value in a Relationship: Common interests, similar intelligence and similar sense of humor.
• Top Song on My Playlist: Right meow? "Pompeii" by Bastille.
• My Typical Friday Night: Dancing, seeing the latest movie or going a fun event with friends.
Originally From: Vista, California
Zodiac Sign: Libra
The down to earth geologist loves to hit the friendly skies (he’s traveled to every continent except Antarctica). Future stops include New York (he’s dying to try a cronut) and New Zealand (for some canoeing). Drill him for more details over drinks.
• My Ideal Mate: I'm interested in a woman with brains and wit, who enjoys being active and wears more smiles than make-up.
• What Makes Me Laugh: I know I'm supposed to be more mature than this, but when someone unintentionally lets a loud fart slip in public. I nearly died when I did this in a Kettle Bell class last year. So embarrassing and so funny.
• One Thing About Me You Should Know: If I won the lottery, I would quit my job and become a professional photographer.
• Top Song on My Playlist: "Holy Grail" by Jay-Z featuring Justin Timberlake.
• Relationship Deal Breakers: Veganism and smoking. I have nothing against vegans, I just can't have a successful relationship with one because I love meat and dairy products.
• My Typical Friday Night: Too often it's dodging cougars at Brasserie 19.
• My Favorite Thing About Houston: I love the burgeoning arts scene.
Originally From: Denton
Zodiac Sign: Cancer
It’s a sure bet there’s never a dull moment dating the attractive, fun-loving anchor/reporter for CSN Houston. Not only can she school you in fantasy football, she’s on a first name basis with Dwight Howard. Game on.
• My Ideal Mate: Having a hectic schedule -- we work nights and weekends -- so understanding that is a must. He has sense of humor. A love for sports certainly helps. And most importantly, he's my peer. Mutual respect is sexy.
• My Proudest Accomplishment: Being a good older sister to my brothers and stepsister.
• What Makes Me Laugh: Unfortunately, a lot. My job and coworkers daily, my lack of motor skills, The Mindy Project and about 35 per cent of Twitter.
• One Thing About Me You Should Know: Unlike Drake, I like having new friends.
• I Believe in Love at First Sight: Only when it comes to fashion.
• Top Song on My Playlist: "You Know I Got It" by Rick Ross.
• Relationship Deal Breakers: Drama, lack of respect, lack of patience... you know, the usual.
• Super Powers I Wish I Had: Who doesn't want to fly? Or just be able to dunk or hit a ball? Wait, those aren't super powers...
• My Typical Friday Night: Work. Covering a Rockets or Astros game or high school football. Then usually hanging out with friends after.
• My Favorite Thing About Houston: The sense of acceptance and truly nice people. Don't go changing.
Originally From: Buffalo, New York
Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Sure to charm his way into your heart, the songster and actor has appeared on Broadway and a TV sitcom. Remember the name -- we're certain that there’s a lot more to come from the talented thespian.
• My Ideal Mate: The most important thing I look for in an potential mate is an authentic sense of self. He's masculine in a natural way, doesn't take himself too seriously and has done a good bit of reflection about his quality of impact on the world around him. I'm also drawn to a man who understands the importance of maintaining a balance of sound mind, healthy body and a soaring spirit. A great sense of humor doesn't hurt either.
• I Believe in Love at First Sight: In my opinion, what people experience as love at fist sight is actually infatuation at first sight. Of course, it's important to listen to your gut instinct, but true love takes a little while to reveal itself.
• I Google My Dates Ahead of Time: I have Googled a couple of guys prior to dating them, just in case we needed a few points for conversation. But I don't believe everything I read, especially on the Internet.
• Super Powers I Wish I Had: I wish I was anti-virus man and I had the power to cure diseases like Ebola, HIV and cancer to name just a few. My cape would probably be that bright "danger green" color they use to keep little kids from drinking household cleaners. Not very flattering, but effective.
• My Typical Friday Night: To me, a great Friday night includes spending time at home, kicking back on the sofa watching a good movie with quality snacks and an adult beverage. Life can get very busy, so it's good to just be able to put your feet up and relax.
ALLISON (ALLIE) MARTENAK
Originally From: I was born in New Jersey, but grew up in Fairfax, Virginia
Zodiac Sign: Pisces
A hot commodity on the singles market, the striking project controls manager, who works for a pipeline engineering company, likes to travel and listen to tunes by Mumford and Sons.
• My Ideal Mate: A guy who is fun, knows what he wants out of life and lives in the city (I'm not really a country girl).
• I’m Dying to Try: I've never been skiing or snowboarding and would love to try it. I miss the snow being down here in Texas.
• My Proudest Accomplishment: Purchasing a new house this year.
• My Last Relationship: I dated someone for a couple months last year. I know what I'm looking for in a significant other; I won't waste a lot of time if it isn't the right fit.
• I Believe in Love at First Sight: No, I believe you need to get to know someone's personality to really fall in love.
• I Google My Dates Ahead of Time: I don’t, but my friends probably will.
• Relationship Deal Breakers: Texting selfies at the beginning of the relationship. I just can't.
• As a Kid in High School, I Was: The quiet athlete. I was shy, but the captain of the varsity volleyball team.
• My Typical Friday Night: Good friends and good wine.
Originally From: Houston
Zodiac Sign: Libra
No worries about cooking or doing the dishes while you're dating the successful restaurateur (Down House, D&T Drive Inn), but you should still tip. Spicing things up even more, the native Houstonian would like to add pilot to his list of accomplishments. Getting a license is at the top of his to do list.
• My Ideal Mate: A strong, independent woman. Someone who is supportive, but also not afraid to call me out.
• My Proudest Accomplishment: Providing health, vision, and dental insurance to all our fulltime employees.
• My Last Relationship: Was four years well spent. I learned a lot.
• One Thing About Me You Should Know: I have a tattoo of Bob Dylan on my left leg.
• I Google My Dates Ahead of Time: Oh for sure. If nothing else maybe there will be some good topics of conversation out there.
• Relationship Deal Breakers: Veganism.
• As a Kid in High School, I Was: The loud, troublemaking, obnoxious ladies man.
• My Typical Friday Night: Riding bikes and bar hopping around the Heights.
• My Favorite Thing About Houston: The city’s entrepreneurial spirit.