avoid the crowds and prep work
Don't feel like cooking? The procrastinator's guide on where to dine out onChristmas Day
This time of year, a quick trip to the grocery store is never all that quick.
Between jostling for a space in the parking lot, dodging the Salvation Army bell-ringer at the entrance (and exit), bumping buggies on the produce aisle and brawling for that last carton of eggnog — it certainly tests all of that "good will toward men" stuff you're supposed to feel during the holidays.
And then you get to the cooking part. Accommodating the vegetarian daughter and the "meat-only" diet of the brother-in-law is a feat. Child-proofing the home for your nieces and nephews takes time (those sparkly snow globes and glass Santa Claus figurines just beg to be touched by grubby fingers), reining in your roving aunt takes patience, and hinting that it's time for guests to leave requires a lot of restraint.
Dining out on Christmas is one easy way to eliminate some serious holiday stress and, lucky for you, CultureMap has done the footwork. Enjoy (limited) family time and tasty vittles at these local restaurants:
- *17 at the Alden: Christmas dinner from noon to 8 p.m. ($55 per person)
- Bistro Alex at Hotel Sorella: open 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. with a special Holiday menu
- Don Shula’s Steak House at the Hyatt Regency: regular menus 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. with a holiday dinner for $60 a person
- Line and Lariat at Hotel Icon: regular dinner menu from 6:30 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.
- Monarch at Hotel Zaza: open 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. with a prix fixe Christmas dinner for $55 ($20 for kids under 12)
- Quattro at the Four Seasons: dinner from 5:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. ($85/35 kids); brunch also available (see below)
- The Remington at the St. Regis: breakfast from 6:30 a.m. to noon and a special dinner from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. ($72 per person)
- Banana Leaf: regular Maylasian menu from 11 a.m. to 9:15 p.m.
- Birraporetti: dinner menu with holiday specials from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Bombay Brasserie: upscale north Indian cuisine from from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Carmelo's Ristorante: Italian Christmas buffet from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. for $34.95... plus an accordion player
- Charivari: holiday dinner from Old World Europe, 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Himalaya: regular Indian and Pakistani menu from 11:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
- Katz Deli: classic Kosher deli fare available 24-hours
- The Palm: 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. for regular menu
- Piola: Italian dinner from 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. with a complimentary Bellini!
- Cafe Adobe: Marq*E location at I-10 and Silber opens at 2 p.m. on Christmas Day
- Ristorante Cavour at the Hotel Granduca: brunch from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. for $70 a person ($30 for kids)
- Kiran's: two brunch seatings at 11:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. (reservations available for 11:30 seating only)
- Quattro at the Four Seasons: brunch from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. ($77/35 for kids 6-12: free under 6)
- Red Lion Pub: holiday brunch from 11:30 a.m. until the food is gone