Editor's note: It's time to recap the top stories on CultureMap from this past week.
1. Influential Houston comfort food and cocktail restaurant suddenly shutters. The owners didn't offer an explanation for why they closed Beaver's, but readers speculated that valet parking undermined the family-friendly atmosphere.
2. Houston's 11 best Chinese restaurants for celebrating Jewish Christmas. The big day may have come and gone, but this list also serves as a convenient checklist of some of our favorite traditional and American-style Chinese restaurants.
3. 10 things to know in Houston food right now: Openings, closings, and steakhouse love. This news roundup contains information about Le Mistral closing, El Tiempo opening in The Woodlands, and more.
4. Trendy CBD coffee shop and dispensary blossoms in The Heights. Michael Migl and Drew Bailey originally intended to open Amsterdam Co. in EaDo, but they couldn't resist a prime location on W. 19th St.
5. Where to dine and drink in Houston on New Year's Eve. We rounded up 15 local bars and restaurants that are hosting special events on New Year's Eve.