Houston-area elementary school makes the grade among Texas' best, says U.S. News & World Report
A Houston-area school earned top honors in Texas in U.S. News & World Report’s first-ever ranking of the state's best elementary schools.
Creekside Forest Elementary School comes in at No. 10. Creekside is nestled in the bustling Woodlands and in the Tomball Independent School District.
A public school, Creekside Forest Elementary boasts student population of 571, serving serves kindergarten through fifth grade. Impressively, according to the report, 93 percent of students here scored at or above the proficient level for math, and 87 percent scored at or above that level for reading.
Notably, the student-teacher ratio is at Creekside is 16:1, which is better than that of the district. The school employs 36 equivalent full-time teachers and one full-time school counselor.
The student population at Creekside is made up of 49 percent female students and 51 percent male students, with minority student enrollment at 43 percent. One percent of students here at economically disadvantaged.
According to the school's website, Creekside “is a learning community where all continuously strive for excellence.”
Unlike its annual list of the country’s best high schools, U.S. News & World Report didn’t come up with a national ranking of elementary schools. Rather, it published a ranking for each state.
Myriad other Houston-area schools land later on the list, including West University Elementary at No. 17. According to U.S. News, the 10 best elementary schools in Texas are:
- William B. Travis Academy/Vanguard for the Academically Talented and Gifted, Dallas ISD.
- Windsor Park G/T Elementary School, Corpus Christi ISD.
- Old Union Elementary School, Carroll ISD.
- Carroll Elementary School, Carroll ISD.
- Hudson Elementary School, Longview ISD.
- Sudie L. Williams Talented and Gifted Academy, Dallas ISD.
- Canyon Creek Elementary School, Round Rock ISD.
- Carver Center, Midland ISD.
- Cactus Ranch Elementary School, Round Rock ISD.
- Creekside Forest Elementary School, Tomball ISD.