MERRY AND BRIGHT skin
Ah, the holidays. The season ahead can make even the most bah-humbug person feel a bit indulgent. Parties, shopping and extra treats or cocktails (like Emma D'Arcy's TikTok famous "negroni sbagliato with prosecco in it") are par for the course for the next few weeks.
Although finding perfect outfits and presents is important, prepping for a holiday-ready complexion – that doesn't take too long and will counteract all those celebratory indulgences – is essential.
Even the most devout skincare enthusiast may want extra help to look photo and celebration ready, so we sat down with local skincare experts who share tips on how to get and keep a glowing complexion throughout the holiday season.
SkinCeuticals Skin Lab by Dr. Roth offers a completely customized skincare experience with cutting-edge technology by one of the best medical-grade skincare brands. SkinCeuticals Custom D.O.S.E. (Diagnostic Optimization Serum Experience) is a personalized formula that addresses an individual's unique skin concerns, including discoloration, blemishes or aging skin.
The quick and painless process begins with a customized consultation where a unique serum is identified from over 48 possible combinations with ingredients like glycolic acid, retinol and niacinamide.
"D.O.S.E. streamlines a skincare routine. It is quick and easy, and the serum addresses many concerns," says Tori Lane, product and skincare specialist at SkinCeuticals SkinLab by Dr. Roth. "The serum typically lasts for three months, and it is a great way to incorporate medical-grade skincare into your routine. D.O.S.E. also makes a unique gift at a reasonable price point."
Dr. Quynh-Giao Sartor, a board-certified dermatologist at Westlake Dermatology & Cosmetic Surgery - West University, recommends incorporating products that lift and smooth the skin. Aside from a broad-spectrum SPF (which everyone should use daily), she recommends three products for a stress-free holiday skincare routine.
- A daytime eye cream containing vitamin K, such as the ISDIN Kox Eye cream. This type of cream stimulates lymphatic circulation around the eyes, brightens the appearance of darkness, and decreases eye puffiness.
- A nighttime treatment with retinol/retinoid such as SkinBetter AlphaRet Overnight Cream or bakuchiol ISDIN Melatonik Recovery night serum to stimulate collagen production and cell turnover, increase skin firmness, improve skin texture and repair photodamage. Bakuchiol is an excellent alternative for those sensitive to retinol/retinoids or for those trying to conceive, pregnant, or breastfeeding (retinol/retinoids are unsafe in pregnancy or breastfeeding).
- A simple hydrating moisturizer, such as over-the-counter La Roche Posay Double Repair, is suitable for most skin types. It has natural skin healing properties due to its base of prebiotic thermal water.
During the holiday season, no one has time to recover from elective procedures, so Dr. Edward Lee of Nuveau Plastic Surgery and Medical Aesthetics recommends three treatments to help patients look party-ready with little or no downtime.
- BBL HERO is the fastest, most potent IPL in the industry. BBL HERO allows us to treat the entire face and body with four times the speed, three times the peak power and two times the cooling capacity. The result is clearer, smoother and younger appearing skin. BBL HERO can quickly correct vascular lesions, pigmented lesions, sun damage and age spots. Patients can reach outstanding results with minimal to non-existent downtime within as little as a single treatment.
- Morpheus 8 is a radio-frequency microneedling fractional skin treatment that stimulates collagen production from the underlying layers of the dermis to reveal a more radiant, youthful appearance. With Morpheus 8, visible results can be seen in as little as a few days and continue to improve for weeks to come. Topical numbing is used during the procedure, and the downtime is about three to four days.
- Moxi Non-Ablative Laser gently revitalizes the skin by correcting the initial signs of damage and aging. It is safe for all skin types any time of year and is performed with topical numbing. The downtime can range from zero to two days; makeup is allowed after 24 hours.