What: El Jimador Tequila’s Day of the Dead Art party.
Where: Gremillion & Co. Fine Art.
The 411: More than 175 CultureMap insiders got into the spirits as they celebrated Day of the Dead, the traditional Mexican holiday called Día de los Muertos, and honored the dearly departed with friends, food, music and art.
Downtown bar and grill El Big Bad made sure no partygoers went hungry. The stellar eats included a build-your-own taco bar and passed appetizers like empanadas and small cups of ceviche. Guests also enjoyed craft cocktails by el Jimador, including margaritas and palomas (tequila mixed with grapefruit-flavored soda).
The spooky soirée, which benefited Houston Center for Contemporary Craft, featured more festive touches, from calavera (skull-like) face painting to a decorate-your-own sugar skull station and Day of the Dead Jenga.
DJ FXBOXolmos kept the party moving with Latin and pop spins while five local artists — Daniel Adame, Chuy Benitez, Vonetta Berry, Andres Chapa and Nicky Davis — created Day of the Dead-inspired paintings on-site with Berry winning the People's Choice vote and a $250 cash prize.
But the competition isn't over yet. Be sure to visit El Jimador Tequila's Facebook page to vote for your favorite piece of art from the Day of the Dead Art Party by November 25 at 10 pm. Help two lucky artists win $1,000 and $500, respectively, for having the most likes.
Who: Raising their margarita glasses for a good cause were Lance Gilliam, Maria Saade, Nicky Davis, Marilyn Zapata, Connie Knox, Patrick Mahoney, Trudi Smith, Joseph Garcia, Ashley Allison, Kathy Powell McEwen, Jeff Zubernis, Julie Ilowiecki and Daniel Adame.
Didn't get enough of the art and fun? Join the artists as they unveil their works during special El Jimador Happy Hour promotions at the following dates and locations:
• November 5 from 6-8 pm: Meet Vonetta Berry at El Big Bad (419 Travis St, Houston, TX 77002)
• November 6 from 6-8 pm: Meet Chuy Benitez at Pistoleros (1517 Westheimer Rd, Houston, TX 77006)
• November 10 from 6:30-8:30 pm: Meet Daniel Adame at The Original Ninfa's on Navigation (2704 Navigation Blvd, Houston, TX 77003)
• November 11 from 6-8 pm: Meet Andrew Chapa at La Grange (2517 Ralph Houston, Texas 77006)
• November 12 from 4-6 pm: Meet Nicky Davis at Arnaldo Richards' Picos (3601 Kirby Dr, Houston, TX 77098)