This Week's Hot Headlines
Houston's best restaurants, wealthiest ZIP code and Montrose barbecue joint lead the week's top stories
Editor’s note: Another week come and gone, so we’ve rounded up the five most popular stories on CultureMap from this past week:
1. Houston's Best Restaurants: These 7 eateries lead city's dining scene to greatness. As part of CultureMap's Tastemaker Awards 2015, a panel of industry insiders selected seven restaurants that are leading Houston's culinary movement. Learn about the each of the Restaurant of the Year contenders — BCN Taste & Tradition, Caracol, Coltivare, Kata Robata, Oxheart, Pax Americana and Underbelly — with detailed profiles of each of the nominated restaurants.
2. Montrose makeover continues: Acclaimed BBQ pitmaster plans new restaurant in former porn shop. Native Houstonian and pitmaster John Avila and his wife Veronica are planning to convert the building located at 1201 Richmond — which formerly housed an adult bookstore — into his own Montrose-based barbecue restaurant. The restaurant will serve traditional, slow-smoked meat, but Avila envisions a restaurant that celebrates all of the flavors of Texas by blending Gulf Coast seafood, Tex-Mex and European influences.
3. Best Bar of the Year: Tastemaker Awards highlight 7 special Houston watering holes and hangouts. CultureMap's food editor Eric Sandler profiles the seven nominees for the CultureMap Tastemaker Awards 2015 Bar of the Year award, including standout spots Camerata, El Big Bad, Julep, Lei Low, Mongoose versus Cobra, Moving Sidewalk and Neil's Bahr.
4. The wealthiest ZIP code in Texas is in an unexpected part of Houston. According to a new report, the wealthiest ZIP code in Texas is located in Houston, although it probably isn't where you'd think. The 77010 ZIP code in downtown, which encompasses only around 30 square blocks, includes Discovery Green and the George R. Brown Convention Center — as well as a number of luxury residential highrises — was found to have an adjusted income of $670,198 based on the 247 tax filings from the ZIP code area.
5. Tastemaker Awards winners revealed: Best restaurants, chefs, bar, service and more. Following a month-long buildup, the winners of the CultureMap Tastemaker Awards 2015 have finally been announced. Find out which restaurants and bars were deemed by industry insiders to be the best in Houston and which chefs and bartenders are ones to watch.