This Week's Hot Headlines
Editor's note: It's time to recap the top stories on CultureMap from this past week.
1. Houston scientist wins Nobel Prize for breakthrough cancer treatment. Jim Allison, Ph.D. won for his work in developing an effective new way to attack cancer by treating the immune system rather than the tumor.
2. Houston coffee expert brews new cafe and roastery in hip Heights district. Jacob Ibarra will bring his experience working for major coffee operations in Seattle and Melbourne to Tenfold Coffee.
3. Breaking down Alison Cook's top 100 restaurants: 2018 list raises many questions. The venerable critic's is certainly entitled to her opinion, but her annual list seems out of touch with the current trends in Houston dining.
4. Prominent steakhouse shutters Highland Village outpost after 15 years. A representative for Smith & Wollensky told CultureMap that "renewing our lease at this time was simply not a viable business option for us."
5. 14 things to know in Houston food right now: Openings, closings, and a sweet champagne deal. From Chilosos' arrival in Cypress to Cafe Adobe's sudden shuttering, this week's roundup offers the latest news from the world of Houston restaurants.