For Texans — especially Austinites — if there's one major milestone that truly puts the pandemic behind us, it's the in-person return of SXSW.
We got a taste of it this year with the hybrid online/in-person format, but 2023 will likely be the first festival that truly feels like a "return to normal." And the newly released lineup is definitely something to look forward to.
SXSW recently announced the first keynote for the 37th festival, taking place March 10-19, 2023. The 2023 conference will include a keynote address from Patagonia CEO Ryan Gellert.
Also announced were featured speakers, including New York Times bestselling author David Chang; New York Magazine editor-at-large and podcast host Kara Swisher; and Grammy Award-nominated singer, songwriter, and multi-instrumentalistValerie June.
“At SXSW, we thrive on creative ideas that lead to bold action when it comes to addressing society’s biggest challenges,” said SXSW's chief programming officer, Hugh Forrest. “Our first announced keynote speaker, Patagonia CEO Ryan Gellert, is a true leader in the world of business who is unafraid of pursuing the systemic reform needed to protect our planet in the face of climate change.”
Organized into 25 programming tracks presented in a variety of session formats, SXSW celebrates the convergence of technology, film, television, and music. Tracks include civic engagement, climate change, design, film and TV, psychedelics, sports, travel, and more.
Other newly announced speakers joining the 2023 lineup are:
- Chemistry professor at the University of Texas at Austin, Dr. Kate Biberdorf
- Founder of Royal and DJ, Justin Blau, aka 3LAU
- Gonzo journalist and creator of Channel 5, Andrew Callaghan
- Professor at New York University’s Stern School of Business and author, Dolly Chugh
- Director and screenwriter, Julia Ducournau
- Emmy and Tony Award-winning producer, co-founder and managing partner of Get Lifted Film Co., and fellow and professional-in-residence at the University of Texas’ Moody College of Communication, Mike Jackson
- CEO of Luminate, Rob Jonas
- Founder and CEO of KORA Organics, entrepreneur, and supermodel, Miranda Kerr
- Actor, director, writer, comedian, and musician, Cheech Marin
- New York Times bestselling author, Heather McGhee
- Psychotherapist, New York Times bestselling author, and podcast host, Esther Perel
- Author and former chairman, president, and CEO of IBM, Ginni Rometty
- Founder and CEO of The Ocean Cleanup, Boyan Slat
- Mycologist, entrepreneur, author, and inventor, Paul Stamets
- Associate professor of environmental politics at the University of California, Santa Barbara, Leah Stokes
- Founder and CEO of Strangeworks, whurley
- Co-founder and CEO of 23andMe, Anne Wojcicki
This announcement comes on the heels of SXSW and Rolling Stone magazine announcing an inaugural emerging artists showcase taking place during the music portion of the festival in March 2023. For a full lineup and more information on featured sessions, visit SXSW.com.