Most Powerful School
Houston's most powerful private school: Bush and Ralph Lauren family connections fuel its special event
How lucky for Kinkaid School supporters that one of its best-known alumna, Lauren Bush Lauren, had enough Kinkaid and Houston loyalties to agree to be guest speaker at the inaugural Kinkaid Alumnae and Friends Luncheon.
Actually, the ask was an easy one, what with Lauren's father and her grandparents, former President George H.W. Bush and Barbara Bush, living in H-Town.
The former Falcon returned to the nest for an evening VIP party in the Tanglewood home of Mary Eliza Lovett Shaper and the luncheon presentation at the Royal Sonesta Hotel. The night before her talk, she mingled congenially with alumnae of all generations (the school was founded in 1906). For the luncheon, Lauren gave a heartfelt talk on the importance of her 11 years at the school.
“Kinkaid is more than just a school — it is an extended family," she told the gathering of 650. "It is a testing ground for self-discovery and it is a launch pad in the world beyond.” Among those applauding her talk was Lauren's grandmother,Barbara Bush.
Her talk included info on the work of her non-profit FEED. She explained that proceeds from her 10 percent of the luncheon proceeds would provide 100,000 meals to children in schools around the world. The remaining 90 percent of the luncheon proceeds are earmarked for funding of the school's new dining center.
The luncheon was chaired by Liz Anders, Adrian Ross and Nicole Zarr while the VIP party was chaired by Mary Smith and Clare McLeroy.
Among the Kinkaid supporters were Mary Nell Lovett, Virginia Watt, Meredith Riddle Chastang, Tricia Dewhurst, Chelsea Cunningham, Sharon Bush, Moniker Bickers, Betty Hrncir and Carolyn Dodson.