Jax is fine
Don't believe the video: Houston burger joint escapes fire damage
Social media can be a powerful tool for sharing news and information, but sometimes people post information that's inaccurate or misleading. Houston burger joint Jax Grill has been flooded with concerned phone calls after a video posted to Facebook purported to show a fire at the restaurant.
That is quite a conflagration. As of this writing, the video has been viewed over 19,000 times and shared by almost 350 people.
But it isn't accurate.
Thankfully, the only thing burning in the video is a METRO police motorcycle that had been parked next to the restaurant's patio while the officer who rides it ate lunch. When the restaurant's fire extinguishers proved insufficient to stop the flames, the Houston Fire Department showed up to put the fire out before anything happened to the building. The bike is toast, but the restaurant is fine — save for some singed patio curtains and a railing — and remains open for business.
"There’s no effect on service, no effect on the building or patio," Jax owner Paul Miller said in a statement. "We’d like to thank the Fire Department for their swift action in a situation that could have been much worse.”
So, fear not. Jax will continue burning mesquite, safely, to grill burgers for the foreseeable future.