Ultimate Mall Guide
Your Houston outlet mall guide: The best deals and steals — and how to avoid the dud merchandise
Need some last minute summer staples? Consider putting that trip to The Galleria on hold — a 30-minute drive to the Houston Premium Outlets in Cypress may be much kinder to your wallet.
With more than 145 outlet stores offering base sales of 25 to 65 percent off, major steals are available for a careful shopper. The outlets include Armani, Burberry, Cole Haan, BCBG, Kate Spade, Michael Kors, Saks, Nike and Tory Burch stores, just to name a few.
A recent trip to the outdoor complex revealed a surprising number of deals. Some highlights include:
Calvin Klein Quinn Satchel Original Price: $169.50, Sale Price: $47.47, Total Savings: $122.03
Michael Kors Oversized Tortoise Watch Original Price: $250.00, Sale Price: $149.99, Total Savings: $100.01
Elie Tahari Olin Shoe Original Price: $270.40, Sale Price: $104.00, Total Savings: $166.40
Nike Free Tr Fit 3 Running Shoe Original Price: $94.00, Sale Price: $65.00, Total Savings: $29
That's a designer bag, a watch, a pair of heels and Nikes. The combined potential savings equal about seven tanks of gas, 87 grande Caramel Macchiatos from Starbucks or 17 pedicures. The drive out there has a way of seeming friendlier, doesn't it?
You can score even more discounts over the next two weeks depending on the store. Some deals that caught my eye:
Gap: Save 50 to 70 percent off select styles now through June 15.
Brooks Brothers: Now through June 16, $29.90 for select sport shirts, polos, sweaters, shorts, ties and accessories
Some tips for planning your trip:
- Consider traffic flow and heavy traffic times when planning your drive out.
- Give yourself more time to spend there than you think you will need. The last thing you want to do is feel like you need to make the trip two days back-to-back.
- Head to the corners to find hidden gems on the clearance racks. This is where you'll find the jaw-dropping deals.
- When purchasing purses or wallets, double check the zippers to make sure they are not faulty.
- If a deal seems too good to be true, don't be afraid to ask the retailer what landed the merchandise in the outlet mall. It will most likely be overstock or out of season. But hey, if you don't mind, then neither do I.
- Some stores like Calvin Klein give out coupons offering 10 percent discounts at other stores in the outlet complex to encourage more shopping, but they are usually valid for that day only.
- Check the return policies. Some stores allow the standard 30 days, but for many other outlets, all sales are final.
The outlet center also has a food court, stroller rental and a playground. It's open Mondays through Saturdays from 10 a.m. until 9 p.m. and Sundays from 11 a.m. until 7 p.m.