Editors Note: Newcomers to Houston sometimes find it a hard place to navigate. But most people who have lived here a while have a ton of recommendations. In a new series, called Road Map, Allie N. Fields gets Houstonians-in-the-know to reveal their favorite haunts.
In our Road Map feature, we are showcasing a sample of home- grown locals and letting them grab the wheel for a journey across Houston to confess their own personal geography of beloved jaunts and tried-and-true corners… From where to get lost or where to be found, just blast the A/C and enjoy the ride….
Meet Mandy Zungia. Status? Sassy, bright and a raw talent for taming tresses.
Rocking a 100-watt smile and a bevy of colorful tattoos, she spends her days perched above Highland Village as artistic director of the penthouse-style Michael Kemper Salon & Day Spa, servicing a client list that reads like a Who’s Who of Houston.
Having two marathons under her belt and a penchant for all things fashion, hair or music, you can find her off the clock with tattoo artist Mark Anthony of Studio 8 or cheering on her professional fighting girlfriend, Monica “PunisHer” Earghs.
1. Alma Mater?Deer Park High School
2. Favorite Kolaches? Central Market makes fresh ones till 10 a.m.
3. Where you take out-of-towners? Without question Hugo’s is my favorite spot to bring family and friends. The ambiance is fantastic for catching up and the food and wine (or margaritas) are even better.
4. Favorite mid-week dinner spot? I do not really cook during the week so Barnaby's on Shepherd is my home away from home.
5. Where you can guarantee yourself a food coma? Walking away from Hickory Hollow hurts (so good) every time.
6. Guiltiest pleasure? Blue Moon and hot wings at Buffalo Wild Wings on Weslayan
7. Favorite place for take out?Palazzos has the best pizza and quickest delivery
8. Where to check out art? Inside the loop on feeder walls or depressing broken-down warehouses you can find the works of a street stencil artist named Coolidge. My favorite one was Ralphie from A Christmas Story in his bunny suit. If you are not lucky enough to see in person his work the website is Coolidgevandal.com, but its not the same.
9. Best place to find a last minute outfit? My closet
10. Sunday hangover food?The Spanish Flower's menudo
11. Where I feel inspired? I can get really amazing visuals or inspiration during Bikram Hot Yoga. Something about that heat makes you crazy and break through.
12. Favorite hotel?The Alden
13. Favorite Street? Sunset Boulevard
14. Best place to get your groove on?Shadow Bar on Sunday nights
15. Your dry cleaner? The most expensive but the absolute best cleaners in the world is Coronet.
16. Best 2 a.m. food run? Whataburger!
17. A place that makes you feel as if you are not in Houston?Memorial Park
18. Where you work out?24 Hour Fitness on Richmond
19. Carwash?Mister Carwash
20. Best place to impress clients? ...In my chair at work!
21. Your playground? My friend DJ MAKE SOME NOISE (Holden Allen) is the best host and has the most comfortable pad equipped with hot tub, music, and beverages!