The joy of summer highway construction (groan) and its subsequent traffic continues this month. Inner Loop drivers and commuters can expect overnight weekend closures on ongoing closures on IH 610 Loop and I-69 (the Southwest Freeway), the Texas Department of Transportation announced.
As always, Houston motorists are advised to expect delays and seek alternate routes. Here are the upcoming 610 and 69 closures and recommended routes:
IH 610 Southbound between Fournace Place and Bissonnet Street
Three alternate lanes will be closed from 9 pm Friday, July 19, through 9 pm Saturday, July 20.
IH 610 Southbound exit to Fournace Place
There will be a total, continuous closure until further notice. Drivers are advised to detour via the Hidalgo Street exit and turn left (south) onto Post Oak Boulevard.
- Follow Post Oak to the IH 610 West Loop Southbound Frontage Road.
- Follow the IH 610 West Loop Southbound Frontage Road to Fournace Place.
- An alternate detour is to follow the IH 610 Southbound Mainlanes to the exit to Bellaire Boulevard, U-turn at Bellaire and follow the IH 610 Northbound Frontage Road to Fournace Place.
IH 69 Southbound between Newcastle Drive and South Rice Avenue
There will be a total, continuous closure from 9 pm Friday, July 26, through 5 am Monday, July 29. Drivers should:
- Take the IH 69 connector to IH 610 Northbound.
- Take San Felipe Exit.
- U-Turn onto IH 610 Southbound Frontage Road.
- Take first entrance ramp onto the IH 69 connector ramp to IH 69 Southbound.
IH 69 Southbound between IH 610 West Loop and South Rice Avenue
One outside (right) lane will be closed from 9 pm Monday, July 22, through 5 am Tuesday, July 23.
IH 69 Southbound Connector to IH 610 West Loop Southbound
Expect a total overnight closure from 9 pm Monday, July 22, through 5 am Tuesday, July 23. Drivers should:
- Continue on IH 69 Southbound. Exit Chimney Rock Road.
- U-turn at Chimney Rock Road onto IH 69 Northbound Frontage Road.
- Take first entrance onto IH 69 Northbound Mainlanes.
- Take connector to IH 610 Southbound.