Editor's note: It's time to recap the top stories on CultureMap from this past week.
1. Buff Houston burger joint announces surprise shutter of 2 locations. Despite using quality ingredients to craft a diverse menu that earned praise from diners, BuffBurger announced it has closed two of its three locations.
2. Dallas-based souffle restaurant deflates in Houston. After four years in BLVD Place, rise nº2 served its last souffle.
3. Massive new Meyerland H-E-B keeps kosher in grand, 2-story space. The new grocery store offers more than four times the space of its predecessor in the neighborhood, which closed after flooding during Hurricane Harvey.
4. Where to eat in Houston right now: 9 best new restaurants to kick off 2020. This month's list of recommended restaurants will take diners from an upscale downtown steakhouse to a drive thru at In-N-Out Burger.
5. Ken Hoffman leaps to the defense of the Houston Astros whistleblower. "Don’t be angry at Fiers — be angry at the Astros," our columnist writes. "They cheated."