White House Worthy
Lunch at the Library: Cafe 43 at George W. Bush Presidential Center caters to salad lovers
Cafe 43, the restaurant at the new George W. Bush Presidential Center in Dallas, has released its menu. Do you like salads? Then you will be a happy camper.
Starters run from $7 to $9 and include two soups: roasted carrot and greenhouse gazpacho with avocado sorbet. There's a house-smoked salmon, hummus with flat bread, and a crostini with ricotta tapenade.
Salads are the biggest category, with eight options, ranging from $10 to $16:
- Roasted beet, mache, blue cheese
- Texas bibb lettuce, pecan-crusted goat cheese
- Kale, duck prosciutto, pine nuts with honey mint vinaigrette
- Smoked chicken, berries, tomato, orange, pecans
- Crab cake, melon slaw
- Chicken Caesar with polenta croutons, very Stephan Pylesy
- Turkey Cobb with fried green tomato, in a buttermilk herb dressing
- Ahi tuna with watermelon "radish" in a citrus vinaigrette
Sandwiches come with fruit or Kennebec fries:
- Chicken pesto with avocado, bacon and tomato
- Turkey pastrami and Fontina on rye
- Pulled BBQ pork with cider coleslaw on a jalapeño cheddar bun
- Grilled vegetable panino with mozzarella and avocado spread
- Cheddar bacon burger
- Chicken salad with arugula
Entrées run from $12 to $22 and include an omelet (ohh):
- Arctic char, corn and sweet pea succotash
- Beef tenderloin, with horseradish sauce, potato and veg
- Halibut with wilted greens
- Pappardelle with mushrooms, asparagus, tomato, pecorino
- Mediterranean grilled chicken with quinoa and vegetables
- Omelet, with green salad and fruit
Desserts are four: an ice cream and sorbet of the day, a "griddled" carrot cake with cardamom cream cheese, lemon shortbread and seasonal fruit, and a flourless chocolate torte with salted caramel and bitter orange.
Cafe 43 is being described as a seasonal farm-to-table concept with an American/New American menu. It's open for lunch on weekdays and brunch and lunch on weekends.
The restaurant is run by Culinaire, which makes sense because it will also provide catering and banquet services for the George W. Bush Presidential Center, and Culinaire does a lot of catering. Other Culinaire concepts include Nicola Italian in Plano.