A Texan's Guide to La-La Land
It’s time to pack up your burnt orange polos and head west to watch the Longhorns roll over the Crimson Tide. With all of the excitement, you might have forgotten to plan your extra day in LA. Being a native Houstonian, I know the bright lights of Hollywood and price tags of Rodeo Drive can be intimidating, so I’ve laid out a few itineraries you’ll enjoy and be able to navigate.
The Big Spender
• Enjoy a light and healthy bite at Urth Café for breakfast.
• Browse the best boutiques on Robertson Boulevard.
• Share a McCarthy salad at The Polo Lounge at The Beverly Hills Hotel.
• Pick up a Sprinkles cupcake on your way to Rodeo Drive to shop designer brands.
• Polish up with my favorite mani-pedi at Golden Nail ($40).
• Devour the city’s best at The Bazaar at The SLS Hotel, Mozza Osteria or Phillipe.
• Make your way to Chateau Marmont or The Montage for post-dinner drinks.
For the Fashionista
• Grab a nonfat mocha latte from Coffee Bean on your way to browse Robertson Boulevard.
• Power walk up an appetite to be satisfied at Toast or Joan’s on Third.
• Pray for sales as you shop on Melrose from West to East - Marc Jacobs, DVF, Madison Warehouse Sale Store, Fred Segal, and BCBG clearance store. Drive east on Melrose, turn right on La Brea and hit American Rag just south of First Street.
• Get all dressed up for the scene at Katana or Terroni.
• Flirt with the hottest Cali boys at The Roger Room, Winston’s, Guys and Dolls, Jane’s House or 1912.
Goofing Off With The Boys
• Fill a grumbling tummy at The Griddle (Local tip: Pumpkin pancakes are to die for).
• Take a hike up Runyon Canyon to see the city from up top.
• Devour an “animal style” burger In-N-Out (just like The Dude).
• Stroll Hollywood and see the stars.
• Take down 2-for-1 cocktails at Cabo Cantina’s happy hour.
• Make your way to Bar Marmont, Jones Hollywood or 8 ounce for a great meal.
• Hit up The Village Idiot afterwards. You’ll be able to get into this bar!
A Day Outdoors on The West Side (Don’t worry, it’s not too cold.)
• Either walk the beach boulevard on Venice Beach to people watch or enjoy a gentle morning hike up Temescal Canyon or through Will Rogers Park.
• Lunch at Café Montana or R+G on Montana Avenue.
• Stroll the shops on Montana Avenue.
• Enjoy drinks while watching the sunset at Casa Del Mar.
• Dinner at The Ivy, Cafe Montana, Father’s Office (supposedly the best burger, that’s all they have), The Wilshire
• After dinner: The rooftop restaurant at The Huntley
If you’d like more of my Los Angeles suggestions, check out my blog www.MoreThanMary.com.