Texas Best Products
H-E-B is on a quest to find the best new, made in Texas food products for its shelves, and Houston is well represented among the finalists.
After a panel of judges for the San Antonio-based grocery chain considered almost 600 submissions across 74 categories from 128 cities and towns across the states, six Houston products emerged among the 25 finalists. They are:
- Briggs True, a line of sauces and rubs
- Chef DeeDee Coleman's DEElicious Red Velvet Waffle Batter
- George and Rubie Huerta's Texas Gumbo
- Dwayne LeJune's Armadillo Eggs from Western Grillers (they're acutally BBQ marinated chicken stuffed in a jalapeño and in bacon)
- Brenda Powell's Savannah Rose Punch
- Nolan Stillwell's Sweet Heat Jam Company
Judges winnowed down the finalists based on "taste and flavor, customer appeal, value, uniqueness, market potential and differentiation from products already available at most H-E-B stores," according to a release. On August 19 and 20, a new panel of judges will evaluate all 25 finalists at the Houston Food Bank for "quality, marketability and readiness for production."
Four winners will receive cash prizes ranging from $10,000 to $25,000 and consideration for shelf space at H-E-B.
What would you most like to see win the competition? Tell us in the comments.