Beyond purple drank
Drop it like it's hot: Five warm drinks to break the ice
Feb 1, 2011 | 5:15 pm
As the mercury drops, why not raise a glass of something warm? We've waded our way through the steam to score the top five hot drinks to keep you warm during the temporary blustery weather.
- Drop in at Branch Water Tavern for a traditional take on mulled wine. Pair it with a hearty dish like venison medallions, and you're sure to make it through the winter.
- You'll want to chai out Waldo's Coffee House for an authentic blend of tea and spices. Unlike mainstream coffeeshops, Waldo's steers clear of fake chai-flavored syrups. The antique appointments enhance the cozy atmosphere.
- Your mouth will begin to water as you watch a bartender splash some amber-hued liquor and slice off a generous chunk of butter, all part of the buttered rum hot toddy experience at Anvil. The cocktail emporium heats up the water to order, so expect to wait a little for this cup of magic.
- It's thick, dark and sticks to your ribs: the European Sipping Chocolate at The Chocolate Bar is a well-deserved indulgence for this time of year. Feel yourself transported to a cozy continental café as this concoction warms your insides.
- Irish Coffee at The Black Lab makes for a comfy happy hour, or save it for dessert after such hearty bites as West Highland cheese soup and Beef Wellington.