Ah, the age-old Houston recycling questions: Is recycling today? Next week? Is glass accepted? Recycle the birthday card from the ex or burn it?
The City of Houston is here to help with those questions (er, perhaps not the last one) with a new app designed to help locals. HTX Collects is a new mobile app aimed at helping residents keep track of weekly services, updates, and collection delays.
HTX Collects will include collection reminders for garbage, recycling, yard waste and tree/junk waste specific to residents’ service addresses. The app will also send a reminder to residents of their collection days, a press release notes. (Yes!)
Other features include:
- Collection Calendar: Trash, Recycling, Yard Waste, Junk/Tree Waste services. Users can set reminders and receive alerts via email, push notifications, and phone call.
- Waste Wizard: A searchable solid waste directory, plus curbside services and drop-off location information.
- Waste Sorting Game: An interactive educational tool to engage, challenge and change recycling behavior.
Residents can find and download the mobile app for Apple and Android devices via the Apple App Store or Google Play Store by searching for the keywords Houston Trash and Recycling.
Those who would prefer not to litter their home screen can visit the website HoustonRecycles.org and search their home address in the My Schedule tool. They can also:
- Sign up to receive waste collection reminders by email or phone call.
- Download their collection schedule into their iCal, Google calendar, or Microsoft Outlook calendar. Print their personalized collection schedule.
- Search the Waste Wizard on HoustonRecycles.org to learn how to recycle or dispose of materials properly.
By the numbers, Houston’s Solid Waste Management Department collects curbside service for over 395,000 residential homes within the city limits, per a release. (No word on how many of those collected items are ex’s birthday cards.)