Most Viewed & Editor's Picks
Oprah's gift, Houston's fall dressing habits & the pink-haired girl in thecoffin capture CultureMap readers
Oprah Winfrey is ending the last year of her talk show with a flourish. Her gift of $1 million to YES Prep (reported by Fayza Elmostehi) was the most read story on Culture Map this week. "It couldn't have happened to a more deserving school. I am so proud to be a YES'ser before charter schools were popular," wrote one reader.
A lot of readers seemed intrigued by our stories on how to dress for fall weather when the temperatures are still in the high 90s. Jennifer Patterson's rules — no fur-lined UGGS or tiny tank tops — were seconded by readers. "I've hated UGGS as a fashion piece for years. I've always put them in my "wear in case of snowstorm" category," Stephanie Davis wrote. "So tacky outside of a snowdrift. So many other good-looking boots out there that won't make your feet sweat."
(With cooler temps today, however, it may be OK to put a little UGG in your life.)
Contributor Annina Stefanelli also tackled the subject, offering ways to make the transition. Her advice: Recycle pieces from your closet to mix fall accessories with summer styles. "Dig up your tailored trousers, elegant blouses, and lace, while preserving the florals and pleated shorts you’ve been sporting since spring," she wrote. Good advice.
Among the week's most intriguing stories: Wilbert Chinchilla's account of the unconventional quinceañera of Houston's Erika Lopez, which was aired on MTV Tr3s's Quiero Mis Quinces. No shrinking violet, Erika popped out of a coffin with pink hair while zombies hovered around. And the ratings skyrocketed.
My favorite new part of CultureMap is CultureList. It's a page of cool lists of all sorts of things, like quirky Houston attractions, frosty sno-cone stands, sacred spaces and high-end caterers. Check it out and let us know what you think.
Most viewed stories Sept. 19-25
1. Oprah couldn't say not gifting Houston school $1 million
2. The real mystery behind Justin Bieber making out in the backseat of a Honda civic
3. Why I hate fall in Houston: Do you see what everyone's wearing?
4. Blood, sweat and blisters: Lynn Wyatt, Monsour Taghdisi & more gear up for dancing with the stars competition
5. Top stories Deluxe Edition: Deloreans rule, but don't mess with Adam Lambert's fans
2. Destination arts city: Houston lures artists into its hip, hot fold
3. The pink-haired girl in the coffin: Houston teen gets an MTV moment — with zombie help
4. Remembering Numbers nightclub and growing up gritty
5. (tie) Houston's top chefs reveal their secret ingredients
(tie) The September issue: How much are Houstonians willing to sweat for the love of fall fashion