Crime could have paid better
Burglars dissemble a wall to break into SugarHill Studios — then bungle the job(updated with list of stolen items)
SugarHill Studios suffered its first break-in in its storied 70-year history last night, but SugarHill president Dan Workman says that it could've been much worse.
Although the historic Houston landmark is missing some instruments — some of great sentimental value to Workman — and some gear, recording went uninterrupted today as studio staffers started taking measures to make sure they can go another 70 years without incident.
"They were pretty sophisticated, as burglars go," Workman tells CultureMap. "They actually disassembled part of the exterior of the building and got into the tape hall, which is a very remote part of the building."
The burglars thankfully weren't so sophisticated, however, when it came to picking what to take with them.
"It's kind of funny how they tore into the place looking for hidden stuff but nothing was hidden," Workman says. "They walked right past some things of great value, like signed checks on the desk and pieces of gear worth a lot of money."
Workman says he's grateful the bandits were so bumbling. Here's a list of missing items with corresponding serial numbers (click on each item to see a photo of an example of the stolen item). Call the SugarHill front office at 713-926-4431 if you come across any on the musical black market or want to help replace them.
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Guitar (1975 Sunburst w/EMG pickups), indentifying marks: ‘Dan Workman’ truss rod cover
- Bass (Robin Ranger w/ EMG pickups and Badass Bridge, identifying marks: custom pen and ink graphic on the pick guard
- Keyboard- Casio SK1 with soft case, with case
- 320 gig Other World Computing FW800 drive
- Brenthaven Backpack
- Acoustic Guitar (Drendnaught Martin 800 DM model w/pickup) 2004 Natural wood no finish
- Banjo-2007 Good Time Banjo/Grand Old Opry( pale wood)
- Bass (1971 Gibson EB-0 Walnut finish) S#- 922996
- Bass (1976 - B50 Guild)
- Keyboard - Yamaha S90 S# - UALN01091
- Keyboard - Yamaha PF70 S# - 4629
- Keyboard - Roland D50 S# - 854542H
- Keyboard - M-Audio Radium 49