It seems like teenagers are always finding a new way to rebel, but this is seems particularly gross.
Phoenix's KPHO reports that there have been several cases of teens (both boys and girls) inserting vodka-soaked tampons in their nether regions. The first documented cases appeared a decade ago in Finland, and recently in the United States several teens have been admitted to hospitals with alcohol poisoning from the same source.
The report includes first-hand accounts from a local high-school security guard and doctor. Apparently Tampax cocktails have become popular for teens who want to experience a speedy and "smart" way to get high off of alcohol.
The method is said to create three times the effect of alcohol consumption versus the typical oral consumption. But as a Huffington Post editor did some research (now that's an assignment) and the largest standard tampon can only hold up to 1.5 oz of alcohol before it expands and becomes difficult to insert. And of course there's also the unbearable, burning pain.
And while some teens might think it's safe because bypassing the mouth and the stomach makes alcohol much more difficult to detect, it's actually riskier because its very difficult to monitor has much alcohol has been consumed — hence the trips to the hospital for alcohol poisoning.
Dear teens: Maybe you should just go back to planking again. Wasn't that fun?