Houston Arboretum presents Science Spooktacular: A Week of Halloween Fun
Houston Arboretum & Nature Center presents a weeklong event for children and families, Science Spooktacular: A Week of Halloween Fun. The hands-on program will incorporate both virtual and socially distant on-site offerings and is being held in lieu of the Arboretum’s popular ArBOOretum fall festival, which will not happen in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic that precludes large, in-person gatherings at the nature sanctuary.
Registrants for Science Spooktacular will enjoy daily activities ranging from spooky bedtime stories to creating slime in a fun science show. Starting Thursday, October 22, children and families will have the opportunity to visit the Arboretum in person and put their nature knowledge to the test on the Halloween Trail, which will remain open through October 24. All virtual activities will be recorded and can be viewed after the live presentations.
All virtual events will be held from 6-7 pm. The Halloween Trail at the Arboretum can be explored in person any time from October 22-24 between 7 am and dusk.
Schedule of events
- October 19: Songs & Stories – Virtually led spooky songs and bedtime stories
- October 20: Neighborhood Scavenger Hunt – Do-it-yourself scavenger hunt in viewers' backyards or neighborhoods
- October 21: Crafts & Pumpkin Decorating – Learn about Arboretum critters and decorate pumpkins virtually with Arboretum Naturalists.
- October 22: Halloween Trail & Photo Op at the Arboretum – Explore the Arboretum in a whole new way – imitate wildlife, search for critters, and finish the Halloween Trail for a special treat.
- October 23: Science Show – Conduct spooky experiments while watching a fun, interactive science show.
- October 24: Animal Encounter & Activity Replay – Missed previous activities? Tune in for a replay of all recordings with a grand finale of an Animal Encounter with some special reptile friends.