Photo courtesy of Archway Academy
Archway Academy

Archway Academy is a high school created to provide a supportive and sober learning environment to meet the individual educational needs of adolescents in recovery.

Established in 2003 by concerned parents and adolescent addiction recovery experts who recognized the need for a school that was dedicated to supporting teens in recovery from drug and alcohol abuse or dependency, Archway is an official Recovery High School, meeting all membership criteria for the national Association of Recovery Schools (ARS).

Located on the campus of Palmer Memorial Episcopal Church, Archway is an independent organization that aims to create a community of diversity, compassion, and mutual respect. Archway is not affiliated with any religious organization but is spiritual in nature, following the 12-step recovery model.

Only 20 percent of Archway Academy's income comes from school fees; the school relies upon the generosity of donors and in-kind gifts for the remaining 80 percent.

Approximately 65 percent of students attending Archway are receiving full or partial scholarships. To date, no student has been turned away due to lack of funds, but the need for financial aid has grown steadily. Tax-deductible donations can be made to Archway by credit card, check, or stock transfer, or by clicking here.

The Archway staff is always looking for interesting things to do with the students during "Wednesday Wellness." If you have a skill, hobby, or story you would like to share, please let them know.

Mentor Days are designed to allow students to see and hear from professionals in the community who are in long-term, sustained recovery. The hope is to expose students to skilled men and women across the professional spectrum — tattoo artist to CEO, hairdresser to medical doctor — who are living proof that recovery does work and that the students can achieve their future dreams with sustained recovery.

All proceeds of the annual Archway Luncheon go directly to the scholarship fund for Archway students. Current students, board president, parents, and alumni share about their experience at Archway, complemented by a silent auction, and guest speaker.

An annual golf tournament and The Art of Recovery show and exhibit, both in the fall, provide even more opportunities to celebrate Archway and its mission. Head here for the most up to date information on events.