Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens presents its seventh annual Fourth of July festival, which includes performers, crafts, activities and refreshments. A schedule of activities appears below.
- 1-3:30 p.m. - Texas Army Fife & Drum Corps.
- 3 p.m. - Join the parade march from Bayou Bend's visitor center to the historic property.
- 1:15 p.m. - Celtaire String Band, Colonial Music Adventure.
- 2:30 p.m - Mark Seale Trio, Gershwin Swing: American Music of the 1920s–1930s 3:15 p.m.—John Keahey reads The Declaration of Independence.
- 3:45 p.m. - Lonestar Bluegrass Band, American Bluegrass Standards.
Kilroy Visitor and Education Center – Bailey Room
- 1-4:30 p.m. - Picture Yourself with the Pembertons (18th-century portraits of a brother and sister); photo opportunity stations.
- 1-3 p.m. - Susan Kelm, Early American Fiddle Songs (sing-along).
- 2 p.m. - Constance O'Brien, Betsy Ross: American Hero (a 40-minute one-woman show on the life of Betsy Ross).
- 4 p.m. - Betsy Ross flag-making art workshop.
- Sign the Declaration of Independence: Use a quill pen to add your signature to an oversized copy of Thomas Jefferson's historic document.
- 1-3 p.m. and 4-4:45 p.m. - Soldiers of the Revolutionary War: Historical re-creator John Keahey and his team take you back to the American Revolution for a look at the uniforms, equipment and weapons used on both sides to fight the war.
- 1-3 p.m. and 4-4:30 p.m. - Craft Activities: Make painted fireworks and stars and stripes parade wands.
- 1-4:45 p.m. - Games of Early America: Enjoy the diversions and games of U.S. forefathers with a collection of reproduction toys.
- 1-3 p.m. - House Tours: Visit the first floor of the historic home to see furnishings and art that existed in cities like Philadelphia, Boston, Newport and other major sites during the Revolutionary War.
- Flag Hunt: Find strategically hidden American flags on the property. Scavenger hunt sheets can be picked up at the Westcott Gazebo, just across the bridge.
- Girl Scouts "Celebrating Community" Badge: Girl Scout Brownies will be able to earn all of the requirements for the Celebrating Community badge by participating in the activities on this day. Badge must be purchased separately. A guide sheet will be available at entry detailing the badge-related activities. Girls and their guardians are encouraged to arrive at the beginning of the event to have time to complete all activities.
Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens
6003 Memorial Dr.
Houston, TX 77007
Admission is free.
All events are subject to change due to weather or other concerns. Please check with the venue or organization to ensure an event is taking place as scheduled.