Prestigious Houston hospital system named No. 1 large employer in Texas and No. 2 in U.S. by Forbes
Attention to all those seeking a career in the medical industry: this top city hospital is one of the best places to work for. Houston Methodist was named the best large employer in Texas, and second best employer in America, according to Forbes’ latest report.
Healthcare organizations are the shining stars in this year’s report; they represented 20 percent of the top 100 employers. Houston Methodist made some major improvements within the span of a year after being ranked No. 37 in Forbes' 2022 report. In another win for healthcare, Dallas’ University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center was placed at No. 19.
To determine their rankings, Forbes partnered with consumer data and statistics firm Statista to survey 45,000 employees at companies with a staff of 5,000 or more. The full list categorized 500 of America’s large employers that earned the most recommendations.
Other Houston-area companies on the list after Houston Methodist include:
- No. 210 – Shell
- No. 289 – Schlumberger, based in Sugar Land
- No. 341 – BP
- No. 383 – Sysco
- No. 421 – Waste Management
- No. 479 – Air Liquide
Elsewhere in Texas, the Dallas-Fort Worth area had the most employers on Forbes’ list, with 14 companies making an appearance after UT Southwestern Medical Center’s No. 19 ranking.
Dallas-Fort Worth area companies on Forbes’ list include:
- No. 70 – Southwest Airlines
- No. 83 – Topgolf
- No. 164 – McKesson, based in Irving
- No. 188 – Toyota North America, based in Plano
- No. 250 – Jacobs Engineering
- No. 268 – Texas Instruments
- No. 339 – ExxonMobil, based in Irving
- No. 369 – CBRE Group
- No. 376 – American Airlines Group, based in Fort Worth
- No. 400 – Aimbridge Hospitality, based in Plano
- No. 403 – NTT Data, based in Plano
- No. 410 – Republic National Distributing Company, based in Grand Prairie
- No. 430 – AT&T
- No. 497 – Crossmark, based in Plano
San Antonio had a top 10 contender on Forbes’ report for best employers: none other than Texas’ signature grocery store H-E-B. Other San Antonio companies that were ranked include United Services Automobile Association (USAA) at No. 42 and Whataburger at No. 493.
In Austin, five employers earned spots in Forbes' rankings:
- No. 77 – Dell Technologies, based in Round Rock
- No. 96 – Keller Williams Realty
- No. 121 – University of Texas at Austin
- No. 306 – Whole Foods Market
- No. 454 – McLane Company, based in Temple
The full rankings and its methodology can be found at forbes.com.