State Fair of Texas invites pandemic bakers to annual cooking contest
The annual State Fair of Texas is back in business for 2021, with a just-released schedule of its cooking contests.
Its cooking contests — featuring categories such as pies, cakes, breads, and cookies — are a staple that date back to the Fair's homey roots but also connect to a new generation of makers and bakers.
They host 14 contests in the Creative Arts Building throughout the Fair's 24-day run, with competitors vying for State Fair ribbons.
Pre-registration is now available online at BigTex.com/CreativeArts, where you can also download the 2021 Cooking Contest handbook.
Pre-registration is not required, but it is requested. Contestants can register the day of the contest online or when they turn in their entries. But if you're a slacker, blank entry forms are available on-site the day of the competitions.
The cooking contests are part of the Fair's creative arts competitions, that include virtual creative arts and arts & crafts contests. Due to health and safety related to the COVID-19 Pandemic, the Big Tex BBQ & Chili Challenge and the cook-offs will not be held in 2021.
In addition to the cooking contests, the Best of Show Cookbook, featuring prize-winning recipes from the past 10 years, is now available for purchase online; visit BigTex.com/Cookbook.
Here's the full schedule of the 2021 State Fair of Texas Cooking Contests (some days have more than one contest):
- Saturday, September 25: Cake Contest
- Monday, September 27: Chocolate Contest, Speedy Dishes Contest
- Sunday, October 3: Texas Pecan Challenge
- Monday, October 4: Farm-to-Fork Contest, Honey Contest, Black Jar/Polished Jar Honey Contest
- Friday, October 8: Bread Contest
- Sunday, October 10: Pie Contest
- Tuesday, October 12: Cookie Contest
- Thursday, October 14: Cooking with Cheese, Tex-Mex Contest
- Saturday, October 16: Youth Cooking Contest
- Sunday, October 17: Candy Contest
The 2021 State Fair of Texas opens on Friday, September 24, and runs through Sunday, October 17.