The German heritage in the Hill Country town of New Braunfels provides just enough of a cultural getaway to make you feel like you’re not in Texas. Adding to the city’s German flare is Ron Snider — founder of the New Braunfels Farmers Market and the new owner of the historic Krause's Café, which will reopen with a new beer hall and beer garden this November.
The restaurant was originally run from 1938 to 1995, dishing out traditional German fare to many dignitaries and city leaders. The storefront was initially located on New Braunfels’ Plaza and was named Gene’s Place after its first owner, Gene Krause. In 1948, he relocated to Castell Avenue and renamed the spot Krause's Café. Gene’s son, Kermit, ran the family business from 1959 to 1995.
After a 20-year hiatus, Snider is bringing Krause's Café back in the same locale, at 186 S. Castell Ave. He plans for it to be "modern, partially industrial, and laid-back" with a "biergarten," German-centric menu infused with a Texas touch, live music, and a cool atmosphere.
In the 11,000-square-foot space, diners can't miss the domed steel ceiling in the "bierhalle," the tabletops made with reclaimed wood, and more unique details that make the space so special.
"The revealed wood ceilings in the cafe are from both the original wood building and Kermit's many additions," Snider says. "Our bar tops are a large pecan tree slab salvaged from one of our many floods, and the cafe dining counter is made of wood from our Comal County Fairgrounds bleachers, circa 1930."
The menu will include Reuben sandwiches; sausages; house-made biscuits; mushroom hash; and more than 70 beers on tap — local, regional, and international options. Krause's Café will also have cocktails and wines on tap.
"My hope is that Krause’s Café will be a must-stop when visiting the city and will return a longstanding staple to the downtown community," Snider adds. By the sound and looks of it, we know it will be.
An official opening date will be announced soon.