Crossing the causeway to Galveston Island, an instinctive sigh of relief can be heard as you coast down, glance over the water and approach land and Mile 0. Locals call this the Island Sigh — or The Causeway Calm.
Whatever you call it, there is a definite reduction of stress and an instant sense of relaxation. Why not? You are on a tropical island, no highways, no real traffic and water at almost every turn.
There are plenty of reasons to take a trip to Galveston; visitors have traveled to Galveston to enjoy the “healing powers of the saltwater” for more than 100 years. Need something more specific?
Here are the Top Eight Reasons to take a trip to Galveston this April:
1. Weather: The weather is warmer and drier than March, plus the sunrises and sunsets are gorgeous. Imagine sitting in one of the Adirondack chairs outside the Hotel Galvez & Spa to watch the sunrise with your morning coffee or enjoying the sunset before dinner The Rooftop Bar at The Tremont House.
2. Festivals: There is a fest for everyone in Galveston. Are you a foodie and wine enthusiast? Book early for the Galveston Island Food & Wine Festival at Pier 21 on April 17 to 19. (Check out the Hotel Galvez package for this online) Runners and triathletes will be interested in the Divas Half Marathon on April 18 to 19 and the Lone Star Ironman 70.3 on April 26.
Coming up this May is the 41st Annual Historic Homes Tour on May 1 to 3 and May 9 to 10; Yaga’s Wild Game & BBQ Cookoff on May 8 to 9; Galveston Island Beach Revue on May 15 to 16 and Hotel Galvez Wedding Vow Renewal on June 13
3. Food: Galveston is home to a variety of locally owned restaurants including the onsite favorite, Galvez Bar and Grill at Hotel Galvez & Spa, which offers a variety of seafood and Texas inspired entrees. If you want to get out for an adventure, try the variety of choices found on Pier 21.
4. Spa Pampering: With Spring in the air, a trip to the Spa is just what you need to kickoff the season. The Spa at Hotel Galvez is frequently voted as the best spa in Galveston by locals and visitors alike. Guests will appreciate all the extras that the spa provides like heated neck wraps, fruit infused champagne and exceptional service and care by the staff.
5. Free Fun: Beginning in March and continuing through October, Galveston is host to Movie Nite and Music Nite on The Strand. April’s calendar offers Singin’ in the Rain on April 4, contemporary classic band Alter Ego on April 11 and rock band Card-Castle Deluxe on April 25. Hotel Galvez guests can take advantage of the hotel’s courtesy shuttle to The Tremont House which is located in the heart of The Strand Historic District and one block from these free events.
6. Pool Therapy: While there are miles of beaches available, the pool at Hotel Galvez & Spa is a tropical retreat sunken behind the road that feels like a private getaway from the sometimes hectic beachfront. The pool grill is open daily offering a variety snacks, entrees and desserts.
The pool at Hotel Galvez is a tropical retreat sunken behind the road that feels like a private getaway from the sometimes hectic beachfront.
In addition the pool offers a swim-up bar, hot tub and cabana rentals as well as ample seating for those who want to cuddle up with their tablet for reading or a quiet cocktail.
7. Outdoor Recreation: The obvious appeal about spring in Galveston is enjoying the outdoor recreation opportunities. The beach is located directly across the street from Hotel Galvez & Spa. The hotel offers complimentary bicycles for guests complete with helmets, lock and a basket or storage bag. Guests can take advantage of kayak, standup paddle boarding or surfboard rentals nearby.
We encourage you to bring fishing gear and fish right off the rock groins for redfish, sheep head and other varieties. The fishing is plentiful this time of year.
8. Room Discounts: During the month of April, Hotel Galvez is offering two Spring Specials:
• Stay 2 nights and get 20% off your stay at Hotel Galvez & Spa (valid Sunday through Thursday)/Offer Code: BPRS20
• Stay 3 nights and get 30% off your stay at Hotel Galvez & Spa (valid Sunday through Thursday)/Offer Code: BPRS30
Check for these type offers throughout the year. Guests can also pre-pay when booking and save 10%.
Book your room early and take advantage of weekday discounts. For more information on Hotel Galvez & Spa, visit www.hotelgalvez.com or call (409) 765-7721.