Just as the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times and Forbes are touting Houston as the epicenter of the country's economic health, so local non-profits are beating the drums over the wealth of celebrities that are winging our way for spring fundraisers. Get out those dance cards for the tide of visiting notables is compelling.
So as not to play favorites, we present them in chronological order.
* On Saturday April 6, songbird Maureen McGovern takes center stage at Chateau Carnarvon, a private residence in Memorial, where Marie and Dr. Ed Bosarge chair the Music Doing Good and Girls Inc. of Greater Houston concert evening. Reservations are available here.
The intimate evening includes a cocktail reception, docent-led tours of the Egyptian and Roman antiquities that fill this extraordinary home and the concert.
If you've dreamed of having dinner with Sophia Loren, your chance is less than two months away.
* Conservative political commentator and author Bill O'Reilly stands up for the It Happened to Alexa Foundation, when he appears as guest speaker at a gourmet dinner evening at Tony's on April 12. (Reservations are available through the foundation website.)
Donna and Tony Vallone host the evening that is chaired by Sherry and Jim Smith, Lisa and Jerry Simon, Jo Lynn and Gregg Falgout and Nina and Edd Hendee with honoree chairs that include Carol and Allan Measom, Cindy and Mike Gatewood and Elizabeth and Anthony Deluca.
The "No Spin Zone" evening has a special treat in store for those buying VIP tickets — a private reception, book signing and photo opportunity with O'Reilly.
* The Council on Alcohol and Drugs expects a sellout crowd when Jamie Lee Curtis tells her story of recovery at the 20th annual spring luncheon, hosted Waggoner Foundation Speakers Series. Mark your calendars for April 25.
Vivie and Chris O'Sullivan chair the fundraiser that will take place at the Hilton Americas-Houston.
* Dallas Cowboys Hall of Famer Emmitt Smith will share secrets of his NFL and Dancing With the Stars careers when he headlines M.D. Anderson Cancer Center's sixth annual "A Conversation With a Living Legend" on April 29.
Vicky and Harris Pappas chair the luncheon at the Hilton Americas-Houston. Sheridan and John Eddie Williams serve as co-chairs. Details are available via email from email@example.com.
* Broadway and recording artist Linda Eder continues her close relationship with the Alley Theatre by headlining the Alley's "Supper Club" gala set for May 4 in the lobby of the historic JPMorgan Chase Building. Carol and Mike Linn chair.
Reservations are available through the Alley's Laura Woods, firstname.lastname@example.org.
* If you've dreamed of having dinner with Sophia Loren, your chance is less than two months away when the Brilliant Lecture Series brings the renowned actress to Houston for a program at Wortham Theater Center followed by a VIP dinner in the Memorial area home of Sue and Lester Smith.
Tickets to the May 10 event can be purchased here.