A fire broke out at MF Sushi at approximately 1 a.m. Sunday. The fire was large enough that the Houston Police Department evacuated the occupants of the other businesses in the shopping center, but KHOU reports that firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze.
A CultureMap source who witnessed the fire reports that the restaurant "was smoking pretty good," but he didn't enter the restaurant to see the extent of the damage.
Reached for comment via text message, chef/owner Chris Kinjo tells CultureMap that "I'm still a little bit in shock, but thankfully no one was hurt." Kinjo says a member of the Houston Fire Department told him they think a soup warmer started the blaze.
Kinjo isn't sure when the restaurant will reopen. "We are assessing the damage and trying to figure everything out," he says.
The restaurant has become one of Houston's top sushi spots thanks to Kinjo's "Magic Fingers" as displayed in the creative omakase tasting menus that are a must-try dining experience.