A fire broke out in the early hours Wednesday at Vintage Lounge, at 2108 Kipling just off of Shepherd Drive.
A power strip on the first floor started the blaze during a storm, which was out by the time the bar manager arrived at 5:30 a.m. The Houston Fire Department said they received a call around 4:30 a.m., with witnesses saying the flames reached 20 feet.
Trucks were still on the scene at 8 a.m., and one firefighter was transported to the hospital for injuries.
The building has housed Vintage Lounge since 2006, but has been a bar for nearly five decades, formerly housing the original Stag's Head, Rudyards and the Velvet Elvis. Much of the inside bar area is charred, although the majority of the damage was incurred upstairs in an out-of-lease area used primarily for storage. (The building is owned by Carolyn Taub).
The building has housed Vintage Lounge since 2006, but has been a bar for nearly five decades.
The bar, which was open Tuesday night, has lately been in an ongoing dispute with the apartments next door at 2120 Kipling, complete with ice-throwing reminiscent of the Hans Bier Haus/Robinhood saga.
The owners, Amir and Davar Ansari, also own Antique Bar on Bissonnet and Kirby. They have insurance, and plan now to pursue a full renovation.