Austin | Dallas | Houston
What To Wear to Summer Fest

Free Press Summer Fest Fashion Guide: What to wear for a muddy good time

Enlarge
Slideshow
summerfest fashion, jorts
FP Lacy Denim Cutoff Shorts $88, Urban BDG High-Rise Cheeky Denim Short $59 and XXI High-Waist Cuffed Denim Shorts $27.80. Courtesy of Free People, Urban Outfitters and Forever 21
summerfest fashion, crop tops
Urban Pins and Needles Smocked Cropped Halter Top $39, XXI Surreal Kaleidoscope Cami $10.80 and FP Freedom Frills Cami $58.  Courtesy of Urban Outfitters, Forever 21 and Free People
summerfest fashion, bikini tops
Victoria's Secret Ruffle Halter Top $22, Victoria's Secret Getaway Halter $27 and Victoria's Secret Long Line Triangle Top $25.50.  Courtesy of Victoria's Secret
summerfest fashion, sun dresses, romper
FP Elise Pintuck Mini Dress $108, Urban Kimchi Blue Charlene Square-Neck Fit + Flare Dress $49 and XXI Tribal Print Surplice Romper. Courtesy of Free People, Urban Outfitters and Forever 21
summerfest fashion, shoes
Chacos and old Converse are the way to go if you want to go blister free and don't mind your feet getting muddy. Courtesy of Pinterest
summerfest fashion, jorts
summerfest fashion, crop tops
summerfest fashion, bikini tops
summerfest fashion, sun dresses, romper
summerfest fashion, shoes
Kate Bentsen head shot column mug May 2014

Get ready to pretend you're artsy (even if it's just for 48 hours) and endure the humidity for your favorite bands because Free Press Summer Fest is finally here. To kick off your summer, the up-and-coming music festival hits Houston Saturday and Sunday with some hot and not-so-hot artists. But who's complaining? As long as you have your CamelBak strapped on tight (hydration is key, folks), sunglasses secured with croakies (80 percent chance your Ray-Bans will somehow disappear) and Instagram-worthy outfit, you’re set.

 Of course you are dressing for your peers, but what would you do if you ran into an old teacher (yes, this has happened to me) or even your boss (hello co-workers, see you there!)? 

If you are struggling with that last one, I’ll do my best to put my years of Summer Fest experience to the test and help find you the perfect outfit.

Some pointers you may want to consider: Will sweat show in this? Is it flattering when I’m not sucking in and standing up my straightest? And of course you are dressing for your peers, but what would you do if you ran into an old teacher (yes, this has happened to me) or even your boss (hello co-workers, see you there!)?

Let's get to it. 

Jorts

If you are showing any midriff, high-waisted shorts are an absolute must. They’re flattering if you find the right fit and pretty comfy. Feel free to steer away from the boring blue jean and go for a fun color or print if you’re keeping it simple up top. Tight budget? Try making your own out of an old pair of jeans.

Crop Tops

I keep highlighting this kind of top because I’m considering comfort here. Do you really want to be outside for eight hours in a long-sleeve garment? Of course not. Also, jump around a bit when you’re trying things on (do everyone a favor and make sure everything stays in place). There is also a 60 percent chance of rain on Saturday at Eleanor Tinsley Park (40 percent chance of precipitation on Sunday), so try and avoid anything sheer or white on top.

Bikini Tops

Because it will most likely rain, this waterproof option doesn’t sound so bad if you’re OK with showing a little skin. You’ll be moving around a lot, so go for support but nothing too constrictive. Also, mid-kinis appear to be a thing now, which I am a big fan of. I would also invest in a light tank top to wear when you walk in or have in case you late night somewhere that requires you to really be clothed.

Have fun, look cute and know that when it rains, the only thing you'll have to worry about is your hair. 

Sundresses

If you like to be a little more free, a light, flowy sundress is your perfect pick even when the sun's not shining. Floral prints can really enhance a summer vibe here. Also, if you plan on getting on anyone's shoulders, perhaps a fun romper would be the smarter choice.

Shoes

Summer Fest is the perfect place to break out the old pair of comfy shoes that you don’t mind getting ankle deep in mud. Preparing for the rain, wear either something waterproof like Chacos or an old pair of Converse. Now is not the time to break out your cutest pair of summer sandals, because the last place people will be looking is at your feet.

Extras

My go-to accessory in life is the fanny pack. Laugh all you want, but I have never lost a purse at a big event or had the burden of carrying one around all day. It is the perfect place to keep your cash, phone, sunscreen, chapstick, gum, you name it, without anything getting soaked. You can also attach a hat or cover up to the side of it if when the weather is constantly changing.

It’s also smart to bring your own CamelBak. FPSF will have free refill stations, and you’ll be thankful for not having to waste your money on water bottles at the event, since you can’t bring any of your own through the gates.

Rain Plan

My last pieces of advice when it comes to preparing for the worst:

  • Wear clothing that won't draw eyes when wet, and perhaps pack an extra tank to change into for your post-Summer Fest activities,
  • Invest in some waterproof eye makeup,
  • Pack some extra plastic grocery bags or Ziplocs for your valuables,
  • Flappy sandals will absolutely be devoured by the mud, and rainboots, although cute, will be way too heavy and a big burden. Go for something in-between that is really strapped to your feet but light,
  • A small umbrella or even poncho can easily be strapped onto the side of your bag (but bring a cheap one, it will be the first thing you dump if it stops raining),
  • If you're driving, pack beach towels in the trunk that you don't bring into the festival to protect your seats on the ride home. 

So have fun, look cute and know that when it rains, the only thing you'll have to worry about is your hair.

Newsletters for exploring your city

Daily Digest

Houston news, views + events

The Dining Report

News you can eat

Insider Offers

Curated experiences at exclusive prices

Promo Alerts

Special offers + exclusive deals

We will not share or sell your email address