As the year comes to a close, CultureMap has taken time to reflect on the best moments of 2013. Some of the most outstanding, surely, belong to Jennifer Lawrence, who is undoubtedly having the best year of her young career. The beautiful, vivacious actress soared into 2013, winning her first Academy Award and asserting herself as Hollywood's must-watch actress of the moment in not one but two movies: Hunger Games: Catching Fire and American Hustle.
Here, CultureMap reflects on the top 10 best J-Law moments of the year.
1. That time she won an Oscar — From the start of Oscar season, it was clear Lawrence was going to take home the Best Actress award. That didn't make it any less exciting though when her named was announced. Moreover, this wasn't Lawrence's first Academy Award recognition. She was previously nominated for Winter's Bone in 2011, making her the third-youngest actress ever to be nominated in the Best Actress category.
2. That time she fell — In true Lawrence fashion, the actress couldn't just gracefully waltz up and accept her much-deserved Oscar. No, instead, she completely ate it on the steps, tripping over her gorgeous, floor-length Dior couture. Not to worry though. Hugh Jackman helped the actress up to her feet, and she continued up to the stage to remark on both her embarrassment and her humble gratitude.
3. That time her dress "fell off" at the SAG Awards — Not long before the Oscar dress fiasco, Lawrence had another fashion malfunction. This time at the Golden Globes, Lawrence walked up the steps to accept her award for Silver Linings Playbook only to step on the front of her dress and rip the bottom half. But the actress quickly recovered from the wardrobe malfunction by pulling up her skirt and making a badass speech.
It's well-known that Joan Rivers is one of the biggest bullies in Hollywood, but that didn't stop Lawrence from calling out the 80-year-old Fashion Police host on her BS.
4. That time she called out Joan Rivers for being Joan Rivers — It's well-known that Joan Rivers is one of the biggest bullies in Hollywood, but that didn't stop Lawrence from calling out the 80-year-old Fashion Police host on her BS.
"The world has a certain idea, we see this airbrushed perfect model image," said Lawrence. "Shows like Fashion Police and things like that are just showing these generations of young people to judge people based on things ... they put values in all the things that are wrong and that it's okay to point at people and call them ugly and call them fat and they call it 'fun' and 'welcome to the real world.'"
5. That time she spoke out against fat-shaming and bullying — Lawrence recently revealed in an interview with Barbara Walters that she believes calling people fat on television should be illegal. Lawrence, who was named one of the "10 Most Fascinating People of 2013," backed up her opinion with a reasonable explanation. "Why is humiliating people funny?" she asked. "If we're regulating cigarettes and sex and cuss words because of the effect they have on our younger generation, why aren't we regulating things like calling people fat?"
6. That time she chopped off her amazing hair — Sure, Lawrence had long golden locks of practically perfect hair, but the actress asserted her fierceness when she chopped it all off into a pixie. Don't believe us? See for yourself.
7. Her performance in American Hustle — Believe it or not, J-Law is already receiving Oscar buzz for her latest performance in American Hustle. The actress has wooed us once more with her ability to transform into anything, whether it be a brave archer, an emotionally unstable widow or a dissatisfied 1970s housewife.
8. When she got back together with Nicholas Hoult — Let's face it: beautiful people seem to end up with other beautiful people. Lawrence met Hoult on the set of X-Men: First Class but ended their relationship during the thick of her Hunger Games fame. Fast forward to mid-2013; the two finally got back together. In case you're unfamiliar with the adorableness that is Hoult, check out this video.
9. That time she greeted an emotional fan at the Catching Fire premiere — Leave it to Lawrence to spot an emotional, young fan and insist on taking pictures with her. Cue the tears …
10. Her Vogue cover — Actresses and models alike vie to be the face of Vogue's legendary September issue. Well, it only seemed fitting that the magazine nab the "girl on fire" to grace the covers of their coveted issue. And of course, the actress looked absolutely flawless.