Entertainment and free are two words you don’t normally hear in the same sentence. But Miller Outdoor Theatre has a full schedule of summer events that don't cost a penny.
The venerable outdoor performing space in Hermann Park is offering all types of live entertainment and hot activities to welcome the warm months in H-Town. Break out your calendars, because this summer is full of exceptionally talented young and old entertainers. Either pick up free tickets on a first-come first-served basis on the day of the performance between the hours of 10:30 a.m.—1 p.m. for assigned seats, or bring a blanket and a picnic (and some bug spray) and sit on the hill under the stars.
There's a lot to choose from, but here are our five favorites during the month of June:
- Beat the heat of the day and watch the MET Dance company perform “Swing, Jive and Pop into Dance, ” a show that incorporates history, fashion and music. June 4 at 11 a.m.
- The classic 1987 movie Big is now a musical and Theatre Under The Stars' Humphreys School of Musical Theatre performs the story about a young boy who makes a wish at a carnival machine to be an adult. June 13 and June 14 at 8:15 p.m.
- Spend the night dancing with the Accordion Kings and Queens while they celebrate their 25th anniversary. The show features performances by Mark Halata & Texavia and C.J. Chenier & the Red Hot Louisiana Band. June 7 at 6 p.m.
- Houston’s Juneteenth Celebration highlights the rich African American musical traditions of Texas and the Gulf Coast. Performances feature Allen Toussaint, Ruthie Foster, Curtis Poullard and the Creole Zydeco Band and more. June 19 at 7 p.m.
- The Houston Symphony performs its traditional ExxonMobil summer concert series featuring vocalists Jonathan Beedle and AJ Swearingen. June 20-21 and June 27-28 at 8:30 each night.
Check out Miller Outdoor Theatre Events for more details about these happenings and other events.