On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me . . . 12 of Houston’s Most Eligible Singles.
Just in time for the holidays, CultureMap is breaking out our latest list of Houston's Most Eligible Bachelors and Bachelorettes.
Who do you want to see in future editions? Email your suggestions to email@example.com and be sure to put 'Most Eligible' in the subject line.
And don't forget to warm up your December by partying with some of Houston’s hottest singles. CultureMap’s first-ever Most Eligible Bachelors & Bachelorette event takes place on December 21, from 8 p.m. to midnight at Mr. Peeples in Midtown.
For more information and tickets on what's sure to be a wild night, click here.
Age: On the advice of counsel, I wish to exercise my constitutional right to remain silent.
Zodiac sign: Virgo
This news anchor and reporter with Houston's KTRK Ch. 13 originally hails from Chicago. Since the age of four, McCall knew she wanted to be an anchor.
She points out, “You could even say I was born to do this. My mom gave birth right after watching the 10 p.m. news.”
After attending Vanderbilt University where she majored in English and Spanish, McCall applied to be a writer at a TV station in Nashville. While there, McCall gave up her days off to work with the station’s reporters. In exchange, they helped her put together a resume tape that was instrumental in helping her win a position in front of the camera.
In her free time, McCall loves to travel to warm weather places, play in golf tournaments and scuba dive.
• Favorite band: Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band. He's called The Boss for a reason.
• 3 adjectives that best describe me: I hope that others might see me as: Loyal, smart, loving.
• What makes me laugh: I think Will Ferrell is the funniest person alive, but my 2-year-old niece is giving him some competition. She says the funniest things I've ever heard.
• Favorite movie: Tough call. Has to be "The Sound of Music." Don't judge me.
• Nicknames: K-mac. On the golf course I call myself McMulligan.
• What I find attractive: Kindness, intelligence, generosity, a sense of humor and humility. Do you mean physically? If so, someone with a very preppy, conservative look.
• Ideal dinner guest: Famous: Christopher Walken. Non-famous: My whole family.
• One thing about me that may surprise you: I like sharks. And I have three brothers and two sisters.
• Ideal mate: A guy like my Dad. He's a kind, generous, sincere person. He has set a very high bar for my future husband.
• Age: 31
• Height: 6"4
• Zodiac sign: Libra
Antonio Smith was born in Oklahoma City and played college at Oklahoma State. He joined the Houston Texans prior to the 2009 season.
Smith is close to his family and enjoys spending time relaxing at his ranch. What does this Texans SWAT team member find attractive in a mate?
That's simple according to Smith, "honesty."
• Favorite band: I love all music.
• Favorite late night snack: Any sweets.
• 3 adjectives that best describe me: Humble, loving, strong. And a fourth . . . fun.
• Favorite movie: Legends of the Fall.
• Favorite way to spend a Saturday: Getting ready for a game or spending to with my family.
• Nicknames: Scooby, Squally 2.
• In my fridge: Nothing right now, lol.
• Ideal dinner guest: Someone I can relate to.
• One thing about me that may surprise you: I'm so goofy at times.
• Ideal mate: She's beautiful inside and out. And a God fearing, strong woman.
• Age: 29
• Height: 5’8”
• Zodiac sign: Aquarius
Gambetta, a beach girl at heart, grew up in Florida. She came to Houston to attend Rice University where she played soccer and ran track. Gambetta is now the director of partnership activation for the Houston Dynamo.
Her passion for sports stems from her dad, a strength and conditioning coach, and started at a young age. “I ran my first track meet in first grade and loved it,” she says.
Of her spare time Gambetta says, “Weekdays I like to have friends over for dinner. I love cooking. I also love going to concerts, trying new restaurants, and going out dancing.”
Other hobbies include photography, yoga, Pilates, and cheering for the Dynamo, of course.
• Favorite late night snack: French fries.
• 3 adjectives that best describe me: Passionate, driven, goofy.
• What makes me laugh: Watching Jimmy Fallon's “Let Us Play With Your Look” videos with my brother.
• Favorite movie: Good Will Hunting. I think it is one of the best stories of friendship told on film. And what girl doesn't want, "I had to go see about a girl," to happen to them.
• In my fridge: Bottle of Pinot Gris, seasonal veggies, and my current obsession, (Trader Joe's) Pumpkin Butter.
• What I find attractive: Someone who challenges me intellectually and also likes to laugh and have fun. It also doesn't hurt if he is tall and loves music!
• Ideal dinner guest: Michelle Obama and if she can't make it, I would begrudgingly settle for Jake Gyllenhaal and hit the town.
• Where I feel most relaxed: By the water on a beach or a lake. I grew up near the beach so it instantaneously balances me out.
• Ideal mate: He's kind, laid back, lives a healthy lifestyle, and has a good sense of humor.
• Age: 26
• Height: 6'0"
• Zodiac sign: Cancer
The founder and CEO of GoodPop Frozen Pops. Goetz started the company while a senior at the University of Texas. Using fruit bars he sampled on trips to South America and Mexico as his inspiration, Goetz set out to bring the idea home to Texas.
A man of many hats, Goetz also designs the packaging and graphics for GoodPop.
A native Houstonian who splits his time between Austin and Houston for work, Goetz says of his hometown, "Houston is always home, especially since his family resides here."
Goetz's recreational interests include stand-up paddling, playing basketball and going exploring. “It’s an exciting way to get to know where you live," he says
Goetz also enjoys making furniture. “I like taking something rustic and modernizing it.”
• Favorite band: It really does change on a weekly basis.
• Favorite late night snack: Chicken and waffles + bacon syrup when available.
• 3 adjectives that best describe me: Genuine, interested, messy.
• Favorite movie: O Brother, Where Art Thou. Recent favorite: Moonrise Kingdom.
• Favorite way to spend a Saturday: Brunch, being outside. Attempting to be lazy and productive at the same time.
• Nicknames: Goetz, d Gotti, Gatsby.
• In my fridge: It's pretty empty at the moment: Jamaican leftovers (oxtail and plantains), various IPAs, hummus, turkey bacon.
• What I find attractive: Wit, creativity, sweetness.
• Ideal dinner guest: Friends and family.
• One thing about me that may surprise you: I prefer short sprints over long walks on the beach.
• Ideal mate: She's serious and silly. Grounded and spontaneous. Tough and sweet.
Age: 25 backwards
Zodiac sign: Libra
Muecke grew up in Rockford, Illinois and moved to our great state to attend the University of Texas. For fun, Muecke likes going to concerts, playing golf, attending yoga and dance classes, spending time with friends and traveling. Her favorite place to visit is Los Angeles — both her children live there.
Muecke has a passion for dancing and music. She’s served on the board of directors for The Houston Ballet for 12 years and is chairing the Hope Stone Gala in 2013.
On Muecke’s music playlist is a mix of both current and 70s music. Bands in the rotation are: Cheap Trick, Kansas, Linkin Park.
• Favorite late night snack: Peanut Butter and Nutella on toast.
• 3 adjectives that best describe me: I polled a few of my friends for this one: Young at heart, easy-going, dependable.
• What makes me laugh: My friends . . . we laugh at everything and nothing.
• Favorite movie: Almost Famous.
• Favorite way to spend a Saturday: Yoga or dance class, then lunch with a friend, afternoon Starbucks, chillin', dinner out and a music concert.
• Nickname: Bethie.
• In my fridge: Wine and a good steak (and lots of other stuff).
• What I find attractive: Dancing.
• Ideal dinner guest: My two grown children.
• Where I feel most relaxed: The beach.
• One thing about me that may surprise you: I absolutely love EDM/Dubstep music and going to the concerts.
• Ideal mate: He has a good sense of humor, energetic, fun and kind.
• Age: 38
• Height: 5' 8"
• Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
This former Harris County Prosecutor, now a criminal defense attorney, ran his first marathon last year. “I still run long distance with a 10 to 14 mile run every Saturday, but I’m not sure about doing another marathon. It was a bucket list sort of thing,” he says.
The joy of cooking runs in Luong’s family. His uncle had a Vietnamese restaurant and Luong started cooking as a kid. Furthermore, Luong says, “I put myself through college at Rice University by working as prep cook and bar manager.” He went on to get his law degree from the University of Texas Law School.
Luong plays the guitar and likes going to the ballet and the Dominic Walsh Dance Theater.
• Favorite band: Fun.
• Favorite late night snack: Pepperoni pizza.
• 3 adjectives that best describe me: Funny, compassionate, nerdy.
• What makes me laugh: Too many things to name. I love to laugh and to make people laugh. I'm a comedian's best friend.
• Favorite movie: What I tell people to sound smart: Ran by Akira Kurosawa. Real answer: Love Actually/Notting Hill.
• Favorite way to spend a Saturday: Starting out with a nice, long morning run, and then reading a great book anywhere outdoors. Finally, trying out a a great new restaurant in the evening.
• Nickname: Kung-Fu Panda.
• In my fridge: Chocolates from my aunt from Belgium, apples, iced coffee.
• What I find attractive: Intelligence and sincerity.
• Where I feel most relaxed: At a cocktail party meeting new people.
• Ideal mate: She laughs a lot, reads in bed, and has a great smile.
• Age: 26
• Height: 5’10
• Zodiac sign: Leo
McGuire, a publicist for Charming Charlie, moved to New York after attending Emory University and started her career in public relations working for a beauty company. An only child, she always had plans to move back home to be near her parents.
In her down time, McGuire enjoys traveling (she’s been to over 25 countries), dining out (she notes, “I’m a big foodie. Most restaurants know me by name when I walk in.”), working out (five days a week), needlepoint (pillows, ornaments, belts) and cooking (especially Italian and French).
Of McGuire, her friends would say she’s a well-dressed fashionista, well cultured, and a people person.
• Favorite band: Hall & Oates with a little Lionel Richie sprinkled in.
• What makes me laugh: I am constantly laughing with my friends & family — most of whom are naturally very funny!
• Favorite movie: Father of the Bride.
• Favorite way to spend a Saturday: Sleep late, grab brunch at Backstreet Cafe, catch up on Real Housewives of whatever (city) & dine out with my friends at one of Houston’s amazing restaurants.
• Nickname: Meegs.
• In my fridge: Veuve Clicquot, goat cheese & my homemade sundried tomato pesto.
• What I find attractive: Men who make me laugh, are confident, self-assured, tall . . . and a good watch doesn’t hurt.
• Ideal dinner guest: Richard Branson.
• Where I feel most relaxed: Sipping rose with great friends at a quaint restaurant in Paris.
• One thing about me that may surprise you: I graduated No. 6 in my class at Emory University’s Goizueta Business School.
• Ideal mate: He's fun loving, successful, kind, confident.
PAUL ADIN PETTIE
• Age: 34
• Height: 6'3
• Zodiac sign: Cancer/Gemini Cusp
Pettie went to Texas Tech University where he earned a degree in public relations. He received his masters degree in interdisciplinary studies from the University of Texas in Tyler.
While at Texas Tech, Pettie spent summer breaks interning for Disney as a parade performer. His current job as the special events manager for the Houston Festival Foundation seems like kismet. Pettie helps produce the Houston Holiday Parade and the Houston International Festival.
Outside of work, Pettie makes it a point to give back to the community. He serves as a board member for Bering Omega and the Spay and Neuter Assistance Program.
A proud accomplishment, Pettie was awarded an Ovation Award by the Houston Grand Opera for his volunteer work.
Something else to be proud of, Pettie has shed 150 pounds and is now training for the Houston Half Marathon.
• What makes me laugh: I try not to take life to seriously and laugh at life's little past mistakes. I love a good YoutTube video and sitting around telling stories with friends on a weekend night.
• Favorite movie: Moulin Rouge.
• In my fridge: I've lost over 150 pounds in the last year so my fridge is pretty empty. You will find items to make protein shakes and my secret stash of chocolate sweets hidden somewhere. I love a good sweet tea. I can't give up everything!
• What I find attractive: Someone who is aware of others around them and is not selfish. They never meet a stranger (my dad is king of this). Manners and southern charm go a long way.
• Ideal dinner guest: I think Andy Cohen would be fun at dinner. I love when dinner involves everyone at the table in conversation and hot topics of the week.
• Where I feel most relaxed: My high rise patio looks over downtown Houston. I try to retreat there everyday either alone with my Bedlington Terrier, Henry, or with a group of friends on the outdoor sofa.
• Ideal mate: He's very witty and confident. He's someone that I can depend on and we can both support each other with our interests in life by having our own identities but inspire each other to be our best. He is spiritual, focused on giving back to the community, and a family bond is important to him. Must love dogs!
• Age: 29
• Height: 5'9
• Zodiac sign: Gemini
Rudelson attended the University of Denver where she was on the women’s volleyball team. She went on to receive a masters degree in consumer behavior and marketing from Regis University.
As her job as a recruiter for a tax and business consulting company, she goes to college campuses and works with students.
Rudelson loves Crossfit, music festivals, museums, and her three-pound Yorkie, Owen. She's currently planning a trip with friends to Greece.
• Favorite band: Changes constantly, but right now Purity Ring and Lykke Li.
• Favorite late night snack: Eatsie Boys Donut Ice Cream.
• 3 adjectives that best describe me: Witty, easy going, fun.
• What makes me laugh: People watching and asking personal questions.
• Favorite movie: Wedding Crashers.
• Favorite way to spend a Saturday: Great brunch followed by anything outdoors with friends and my dog, Owen. Road tripping to Austin usually works as well.
• In my fridge: Goodpop Popsicles, lots of condiments, and fruit. I eat out a lot.
• What I find attractive: Humor, originality, pretty teeth, good banter.
• Ideal dinner guest: One who brings lots of wine.
• Where I feel most relaxed: Around the dinner table with my family.
• One thing about me that may surprise you: I'm obsessed with fantasy football.
• Ideal mate: He has to love live music and be able to make me laugh.
• Age: 30
• Height: 5' 10"
• Zodiac sign: Scorpio
Born and raised in Houston, this Bellaire High School graduate attended the University of Texas Business School where he earned an MBA and CPA. Out of college he relocated to Newport Beach to focus on his passion for entrepreneurial ventures and technology.
Back in Houston since 2011, Susman started TheSquareFoot, an online platform which aids prospective tenants in finding and leasing space, with two of his best friends.
When not working, Susman enjoys the outdoors. He plays tennis and has ridden in the MS150 bike ride. His favorite TV shows are Parks & Recreation and South Park. “I like low brow humor,” he says.
Susman has chaired several Jewish Federation events. He likes to dine out — favorite dinner spots are Brasserie 19 and Mockingbird Bistro. As well, states Susman, “I’m really into music. I’ve been Coachella Festival in Palm Springs and Lollapalooza in Chicago.
• Favorite band: Two Door Cinema Club, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Mumford and Sons, Tom Petty, too many to name . . .
• Favorite late night snack: El Rey nachos.
• 3 adjectives that best describe me: Complex, coy, entrepreneurial.
• Favorite movie: The Thomas Crown Affair (The Pierce Brosnan version).
• Favorite way to spend a Saturday: Watching college football, playing tennis, seeing a movie.
• Nickname: Sus.
• In my fridge: Orange juice, pancake mix, eggs — pretty much only breakfast stuff.
• What I find attractive: Someone who marches to her own beat and looks good doing it.
• Ideal dinner guest: Male: John F. Kennedy. Female: Bar Refaeli.
• One thing about me that may surprise you: Recently joined EaDo CrossFit and loving it.
• Ideal mate: She's charming, witty, thoughtful.
• Age: 33
• Height: 5' 7 1/2"
• Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
The director of external affairs for the Office of Mayor Annise Parker, Char grew up in Denver and spent several years working in the political world in Washington D.C. before moving to Houston to work on the mayor’s campaign in 2009.
Char’s interest in politics started in high school when she ran for, and won, class president. Why politics?
“I wanted to save the world – it’s still what drives me in the morning. I want to make a difference in someone’s life,” she says.
Of Houston Char says, “I love living in Montrose. I can walk to get coffee and groceries, and breakfast on the weekends. My favorite Sunday is coffee and the crossword.”
• Favorite band: Anything I can dance to or that has a good beat.
• 3 adjectives that best describe me: Driven, klutzy, witty.
• Favorite movie: Devil Wears Prada, Old School.
• Nickname: CharBQ.
• In my fridge: Eggs, cheese, apple juice, homemade spaghetti & meatballs, salad fixins, wine, beer.
• What I find attractive: A guy who can strike up a conversation with anyone, but still makes me feel like the most important person in the room.
• Ideal dinner guest: Hillary Clinton, as long as she agrees to do the dishes.
• Where I feel most relaxed: On the couch watching a movie in my comfy pjs.
• One thing about me that may surprise you: I ran and finished a marathon.
• Ideal mate: He's someone who is funny, social, patient, understanding and most of all secure in himself. He also loves a strong woman who just wants to have fun and relax when not at work.
• Age: 25
• Height: 5’11
• Zodiac sign: Taurus
Miller, a graduate of Northeastern University and a TV Producer at Great Day Houston, has always had an interest in television. He explains, “At first I wanted to be on camera, but now I like being behind the scenes. My job is great because no day is ever the same.”
A typical workday for Miller starts at 6:30 a.m. tying up loose ends before the show airs live. Post show, Miller’s in charge of coming up with ideas for segments and interviewing people about them. “You never know who you’ll meet,” he says
Miller likes music and counts Springsteen and Dylan among as his favorites. He plays the guitar, harmonica and piano.
• Favorite late night snack: Goldfish Crackers.
• 3 adjectives that best describe me: Funny, unrefined, sorta weird.
• What makes me laugh: Sarcasm. Dry senses of humor. Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart. My friend Kellie makes me laugh a lot, too. But don’t worry, she’s engaged.
• Favorite movie: The Departed.
• Favorite way to spend a Saturday: Eating tacos and drinking cheap beer at West Alabama Ice House.
• Ideal dinner guest: Right now it’s Aubrey Plaza from Parks and Recreation.
• Where I feel most relaxed: On a treadmill or sitting on my couch with a guitar.
• One thing about me that may surprise you: I’ve never seen Titanic. That always surprises people for some reason.
• Ideal mate: She has to make me laugh and think. She also has to enjoy music and can’t hate The Catcher in The Rye. She probably has a few tattoos, too.