Adding to your summer fun, we've got CultureMap's top 10 picks for Houston's Most Eligible Bachelors and Bachelorettes. This edition includes a selection of singles with various careers ranging from a make-up artist to a real estate broker. All are unattached, attractive and successful in his or her own right.
For the next edition, we we want to know who you want to see. Send us your suggestions at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to put 'Most Eligible' in the subject line.
• Name: Angela Lipsey
• Occupation: Medical devices sales representative
• Age: n/a
• Height: 5’9”
• Zodiac sign: Pisces
Lipsey, born in Houston, moved to the midwest for a time before returning home to attend the University of Houston. A philanthropist at heart, she, along with a friend, recently started a non-profit, Enslaved No More, committed to stopping child trafficking.
• Do you believe in love at first sight? I believe in having the initial chemistry it takes to develop "love." I'm not sure "love at first sight" exists outside of "agape love." To me, love is more about actions. The feelings obviously have to be present, but it takes time to develop a true love acumen.
• What's your most treasured possession and why? That would have to be my Italian greyhound, Bella. She has a way of always making me happy, and she reminds me not to take life too seriously. She's been my sweet angel for 13 years.
• What's your greatest achievement? That's a tough question as I believe my life is a series of small achievements leading to greater ones. Coming from extremely humble beginnings, as I have, being an independent accomplished business owner and philanthropist have been great achievements. Remaining humble in success and without bitterness in defeat are true accomplishments.
• Ideal mate: My ideal guy is one that's, first and foremost, my best friend. I truly admire a successful, spiritual man of valor with integrity, gregariousness, generosity and the ability to handle any given situation. Of course, being tall and handsome is a true bonus.
• Name: Scott Gertner
• Occupation: Musician/nightclub owner
• Age: Young body, mind and soul
• Height: 6’1”
• Zodiac sign: Every bit a Leo
Music comes naturally for Gertner. His mother, a singer, was an understudy for Dinah Shore and Lena Horne. Gertner honed his skills while attending the High School for the Performing and Visual Arts and playing guitar for musicians like Luther Vandross and BB King.
This guitarist eventually took his place behind the microphone as a lead singer. The owner of Scott Gertner's Sports Bar Live is hard at work on new projects -- expect a new restaurant/lounge from Gertner in the future.
• You've got six months to live, what do you do first? Spend every day with my family. Try to make someone’s life better.
• What's your greatest achievement? Looking after my family.
• If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? I’m strongly trying to strengthen my faith.
• Favorite place in town to grab a drink? I go by moods so I like everything from upscale dressy to dive, low-key places where no one can find me.
• Super powers you wish you had? Live a normal lifestyle and improve my sleeping habits. That, in my world, would be a super power.
• Ideal mate: She’s someone who makes me step outside my box. Challenges my intellect. Loves her family and is a friend to others. Has drive and interests so that we learn from each other. I believe in 50/50 or 60/40 and I don't have to be the 60. As long as we have understanding. There's more, but I don't want to discuss the obvious.
• Name: Rozell Jones, but I go by "Roz"
• Occupation: Fitness professional - Region director for Camp Gladiator, presenter for American College of Sports Medicine, spinning instructor
• Age: 28
• Height: 5'8
• Zodiac sign: Scorpio
Jones has a passion for helping others which is why she loves her job in fitness. “I’m fun, peppy and outgoing so (my career in) fitness fits my personality," she says.
Although she spends her days in workout clothes, Jones has an eye for fashion. "I look at all the styles and fashions. It’s not part of my career, but I would secretly love to style people," she says.
• Do you believe in love at first sight? Nah, love's a little deeper than what meet's the eye. It's like food, it may look like the best meal on the planet, but bite into a raw piece of meat with no flavor... epic fail!
• What's your most treasured possession and why? My family! Yes, I consider them possessions. And then my dogs. My dogs' undying and unconditional love, regardless of circumstances, makes me want to pack them up and take them everywhere. They already love to work out and are up for adventure, too.
• What song from your playlist gets played the most? "I'm So Excited" by the Pointer Sisters.
• What's your greatest achievement? Being self-employed.
• If a relationship does not work out with a guy, how do you usually end it? I'm pretty straight forward, so I would just have a candid conversation.
• Super powers you wish you had? Teleport! Who likes driving anyway.
• Name: Edward Sanchez
• Occupation: Owner/proprietor of Edward Sanchez Vanity Lounge
• Age: 40ish
• Height: 5’9”
• Zodiac sign: Aquarius
Sanchez, who has done make up for the likes of Tory Burch, Queen Noor of Jordan and Janet Jackson, is the go-to make-up artist around town. With his skills in high demand, Sanchez took a leap of faith and opened his own shop, Vanity Lounge at West Ave.
Evenings at home include sci-fi movie marathons -- Star Trek and Star Wars are all-time favorites.
• What's your most treasured possession and why? This would have to be my really close friends. I couldn't have made it to where I am today without them.
• If you were an animal in the wild, what would you be? I would love to be a wild stallion roaming the plains of Wyoming.
• What song from your playlist gets played the most? I really love listening to Michael Buble, but will.i.am runs a close second.
• Favorite place in town to grab a drink? I love to people watch so the new Del Frisco’s Grille is so much fun.
• Super powers you wish you had? The power to read minds. I could make everyone happy.
• Who is the most fascinating person you know? My business partner, Diane Caplan. She does it all and
keeps it all under control. That amazes me.
• Ideal mate: He has to have at least three "-tions": Occupa-tion, Educa-tion and Transporta-tion. Just sayin'.
• Name: Tara Brivic
• Occupation: Fashion consultant
• Age: "Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." — Mark Twain
• Height: 5'2
• Zodiac Sign: Cancer
While Houston is now home base for this native New Yorker, Brivic spent the last year in Los Angeles before taking up permanent residency in the Bayou city. She elaborates, “I just finished a show for the TLC Network called, Totally T-Boz. My best friend is T-Boz and it’s about her band, TLC.”
Brivic is still getting to know her new hometown. “It’s a whole different world to me, but I love it. It’s where I want to make my home,” she states.
• Do you believe in love at first site? If I bumped into David Beckham, absolutely!
• If you were an animal in the wild, what would you be? A giraffe. I am so tiny at 5'2. I would love to see what its like to be taller then everyone else.
• What song from your playlist gets played the most? Songs by The Cure and Duran Duran, 80's new wave.
• If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? Hmmm... I wouldn't be single.
• Favorite place in town to grab a drink? My girlfriends and I meet every week for drinks & dinner at Brasserie 19. Late night place for me is Dirt Bar and, if it's nice out, Brooklyn Athletic Club.
• Super powers you wish you had? The power to always know where my keys, wallet and cell phones are. I'm always looking for them.
• Ideal mate: He has a positive outlook on life, is adventurous & kind. If he can change a tire and put up a shelf that's definitely a bonus in my book.
• Name: Trey Bahney
• Occupation: Senior divisional accountant at Quanta Services
• Age: 26
• Height: 5'10"
• Zodiac sign: Gemini
A graduate of Texas A&M, Bahney did the PPA program and is now an accountant at Quanta Services. Bahney has older siblings including a sister. Although she lives in San Francisco, the two are close. He explains, “She’s really independent and strong like my mom, and I respect that.”
• What's your most treasured possession and why? I have a small collection of very amateur paintings done by different friends of mine. I like them because each one is a product of its own story. They are entirely unique, but in a non-pretentious way.
• If you have friends coming over for dinner, what do you cook? Baked salmon, sautéed green beans, a light vinaigrette spinach salad. And I would serve a decent Pinot Noir.
• What's your greatest achievement? Balancing my professional goals with an active social life.
• If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? My dentist says everyone should floss twice daily, so I'll go with that.
• If a relationship does not work out with a girl, how do you usually end it? I'm a kind heart who wants the best for people. If you didn't find happiness with me, then I wish you the best and hope you find it eventually.
• Ideal mate: She would be kind, witty, optimistic, and energetic. Some bit of creativity would be nice as well.
• Name: Gabriella Aliberti
• Occupation: Oil & gas negotiator, co-owner Mon Venin LLC, co-owner and instructor of Del Espadin Flamenco & Soraya's School of Belly Dance
• Age: 36
• Height: 5'7"
• Zodiac sign: Cancer
To say that Aliberti, originally from The Big Apple, has an entrepreneurial spirit is an understatement. In addition to working in the legal field for an oil and gas company, she co-owns a dance studio and a fashion company.
“I’ve been dancing my whole life. By the time I hit age 12, it was obvious I wasn’t going to be a (professional) ballet dancer. 20 years later, I opened my own studio. As for Mon Venin, my love of fashion led to representing different designers and getting them into stores and into Texas markets,” she says.
• If you were an animal in the wild, what would you be? Some sort of wildcat. Maybe a panther or jaguar. I like to hang back and observe before making any moves, attacks, what have you.
• If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? I'd learn how to relax. I love spa days, laying on the beach and vegging on my couch, but I never fully enjoy it. I'm always thinking about what else I'd like to do next and get done.
• Favorite place in town to grab a drink? Cove Cold Bar at Haven
• Who is the most fascinating person you know? I find my parents, as a team, were fascinating. They both immigrated to the U.S. and worked constantly to make a better life for their family without ever letting us lose site of the humble beginnings we came from.
• Ideal mate: He's trustworthy, honest, and someone who is secure in himself and is his own individual. While having his own personal goals in life, as do I, he's also someone that is willing to walk alongside me in achieving life goals together.
• Name: Steven Stone
• Occupation: Retail real estate broker
• Age: 26
• Height: 6’
• Zodiac sign: Always have to look it up. Gemini. Is that good or bad?
“The biggest thing I’m addicted to doing is going to new restaurants. You can kind of say it’s part of my job, but even if I wasn't in retail real estate, I would still go,“ Stone says.
• Do you believe in love at first sight? Almost. Maybe at second glance.
• What's your most treasured possession and why? My grandpa’s watch. It’s a gold Seiko that’s seen better days but it’s nice to have that connection.
• If you have friends coming over for dinner, what do you cook? Osso buco. It always comes out great and it’s such a no-hassle dish.
• If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? I would stop wasting time. To me, that means getting rid of those slow-rise mornings and quit refreshing Facebook.
• Super powers you wish you had? To travel faster than a speeding bullet.
• Ideal mate: She would be a smart, fun, kind and composed young lady.
• Name: Hannah Frank
• Occupation: 7th grade math teacher
• Age: 26
• Height: 5'11"
• Zodiac sign: Gemini
"I love teaching and I love my students. Math is tough so I try to make it fun via playing games, etc., " says the Texas A&M graduate.
Frank plays in a tennis league and rides horses competitively. Something people may not know is that Frank's a huge fan of Taylor Swift. She confesses, " I'm guiltily obsessed with Taylor Swift's music. I have all of her CDs and went to her concert."
• Do you believe in love at first sight? I believe in "like" at first sight.
• What's your most treasured possession and why? My horse Harvey. I enjoy riding horses and he is a big part of that.
• What's your greatest achievement? Honestly, my relationship with God trumps any external award or achievement.
• If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? I need to think more before I open my mouth.
• Favorite place in town to grab a drink? My family owns Federal Grill so I'm there a lot.
• Who is the most fascinating person you know? My grandma. She's incredible. She has 12 children and is really an amazing women.
• Ideal mate: Someone that can make me laugh, loves to have fun, and is confident.
• Name: James A. Watkins
• Occupation: Beverage director, Cordua Restaurants
• Age: 30
• Height: 5’8”
• Zodiac sign: Cancer
"There are not a whole lot of sommeliers out there. I worked my way up," Watkins says. "I live a pretty fun and engaging life – I get to meet and talk to all different kinds of people."
Although it’s tough balancing work with studying to keep up on wines, when Watkins' schedule allows he opts for low key. "People at work only see me in a suit. At home it’s shorts and flip flops. I kick back and drink a Lone Star!"
• You've got six months to live, what do you do first? The same thing I do everyday... try to take over the world.
• If you have friends coming over for dinner, what do you cook? Last time I entertained I made an adobo rubbed pork tenderloin over herb-parmesan polenta, finished with a mango chutney. It's spot on with German Riesling.
• If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? The fact that I’m not a famous rapper.
• Super powers you wish you had? Definitely X-Ray vision, though I promise I would be prudent when using it.
• Who is the most fascinating person you know? My great nephew, Vinnie; watching a child's mind at work is an absolute treasure.
• Ideal mate: My perfect woman would be understanding, fun, but enjoy some very needed veg-out time on occasion. A sports enthusiast would be an added bonus. A woman that is adventurous with food is also preferred since I love cooking and dining out. Someone that can be just as happy and accessible throwing the ball to the dog by the lake as they are sitting in a Michelin-starred restaurant. Oh, and I happen to love sock shopping, so... any assistance with that.