If this brisk winter-like weather isn't getting you into the celebratory spirit, then the video above will fast-forward you into that magical mood.
It's a sneak peek at the Christmas tree at The Galleria being decorated in a flash of 25 seconds.
The 26th Annual Ice Spectacular and Official Tree Lighting is set for 6 p.m. Saturday, with the yearly tradition free and open to the public. The fun begins at noon that day and is packed with holiday entertainment. Face painting, balloon artists and pictures with Santa Claus are on the schedule, and B.A.R.C. staff members will be on site to host pet adoptions.
Kree Harrison, American Idol Season 12 finalist, will perform near tree-lighting time and five popular professional skaters will perform dynamic ice routines. A skating Santa Claus will light the tree, and a fireworks display follows.
Guests are encouraged to arrive early to claim a spot around the rink. Reserved seating will also be available for purchase from 3 to 5 p.m.. All proceeds benefit the M.D. Anderson Children’s Cancer Hospital.
Here are some facts to know and share about the 55-foot-tall wonder:
- The Galleria tree has more than 450,000 twinkling lights
- More than 5,500 ornaments in a variety of colors and shapes hang from the tree each year
- The installation takes more than 13 hours of work by 50 men and women
- The Galleria tree is the largest hand-installed Christmas tree on top of an ice rink
- The tree's more than 1,000 branches are hand fluffed by individuals starting in September
Now, just click on the video, and you're sure to feel some holiday joy — and a smile growing on your face. (Reverse is pretty fun, too.)